You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-22 16:38:19

kinoe

[SOLVED] Plasma: hided panels/ docks don't unhide at the left side

KDE plasma 5.10.2, single monitor:
When i try ksmoothdock or xfce4-panel unhide at the left border of the monitor, it doesn't show up.
->I have to kill the process, change ksmoothdock.rc and restart.
Both show up normally on top or right side.
On the bottom there is this issue as well but there also is a plasma-panel, maybe they're getting in conflict.
Any ideas?

Last edited by kinoe (2018-03-31 11:10:54)

Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
Linux demands proof.

#2 2017-07-11 09:12:17

dangvd

Re: [SOLVED] Plasma: hided panels/ docks don't unhide at the left side

Hi,

I'm the author of ksmoothdock and I'd like to know more about the issue: is it happening only on KDE Plasma 5.10.2 or did you have this bug on a previous version of Plasma as well? And if you run ksmoothdock from the command line, does it print out any error when this happens?

#3 2017-07-11 11:26:19

kinoe

dangvd wrote:

I'm the author of ksmoothdock and I'd like to know more about the issue: is it happening only on KDE Plasma 5.10.2 or did you have this bug on a previous version of Plasma as well? And if you run ksmoothdock from the command line, does it print out any error when this happens?

Thank you for your nice ksmoothdock! It's great work and i'd love to use it.

Whether it worked here on Plasma before version 5.10.2 i can't say, for my first try was with that latter Plasma version.
Unfortunately running ksmoothdock from the command line does not print out any information - the terminal stays blank

In the meantime i forgot how to change ksmoothdock.rc (btw ksmoothdock.rc is empty now? corrupted?), concerning the entry for 'autohide'.
So beyond killing the process i can't do anything to regain control over the dock when its located on the left side and autohide is enabled... and that's how it is now
Would you please tell me the entry to disable 'autohide' and possible further entries of ksmoothdock.rc that got lost but may be necessary?

This is the only error that journalctl is printing out:

Jun 22 16:15:55 kde-pc ksmoothdock[8568]: Error loading text-to-speech plug-in "speechd"

Let me know if you would like to see the whole printout of journald concerning ksmoothdock

Last edited by kinoe (2017-07-11 13:45:47)

Linux demands proof.

#4 2017-07-11 15:42:14

dangvd

Thank you!

So let me summarize:
- If you use ksmoothdock with Auto-Hide on and the Position set to either Left/Bottom then it doesn't work? As in, if you move the mouse to the edge of the screen then the panel doesn't show itself?
- And it works with either Auto-Hide off or the Position set either Right/Top?

As for changing ksmoothdockrc, the entry for AutoHide is:
[General]
autoHide=false

Or you can simply delete ksmoothdockrc and restart ksmoothdock, it will create a new ksmoothdockrc with default values.

If you have an account at GitHub, please file a bug at https://github.com/dangvd/ksmoothdock/issues, otherwise I'll do it.

#5 2017-07-11 21:24:54

kinoe

So let me summarize:
- If you use ksmoothdock with Auto-Hide on and the Position set to either Left/Bottom then it doesn't work? As in, if you move the mouse to the edge of the screen then the panel doesn't show itself?
- And it works with either Auto-Hide off or the Position set either Right/Top?

Exactly. But for now it doesn't work at all: neither deleting ksmoothdockrc, nor editing it by setting "autoHide=false" resets ksmoothdock (it doesn't even rebuild ksmoothdockrc). Reinstallation didn't do the job as well, odd.
To at least reset ksmoothdock maybe it'll help to manually create a default ksmoothdockrc? Whats the content of a complete default ksmoothdockrc?

Bug-file at GitHub: https://github.com/dangvd/ksmoothdock/issues/63

Last edited by kinoe (2017-07-12 04:23:54)

Linux demands proof.

#6 2017-07-12 20:36:35

dangvd

Did you delete the ksmoothdockrc file in $HOME/.ksmoothdock folder? See https://github.com/dangvd/ksmoothdock/w … igLocation

Thanks for filing the bug. I'll look at it -- a bit tricky though because I'm still using Plasma 5.8

#7 2017-07-12 22:12:32

kinoe

No i didn't delete the ksmoothdockrc file in $HOME/.ksmoothdock folder because there were a ksmoothdockrc in $HOME... see signature below:)
Thanks

Linux demands proof.

#8 2017-07-13 13:38:29

dangvd

So I assume it works now after you deleted $HOME/.ksmoothdock/ksmoothdockrc?

There is probably another ksmoothdockrc in another location (e.g. Plasma config dir) created by the desktop environment (KDE Plasma 5 here) to store things like whether you've set "Not To Show Some Dialog Again".

The reason I store ksmoothdock configs in $HOME/.ksmoothdock, and not in Plasma config dir, is because:
- I want to put setting configs and launchers configs in the same dir
- ksmoothdock, while aimed mainly for KDE Plasma 5 desktop, is still desktop-agnostic. You can run ksmoothdock in other desktop environments like Xfce and Cinnamon too (although some minor features might be missing). See https://github.com/dangvd/ksmoothdock/wiki/FAQs

#9 2018-03-31 11:09:49

kinoe

soution:
Turning off Touch Screen support's edge swipe gesture (introduced in Plasma 5.10) should fix it.

Linux demands proof.

Board footer