You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-21 11:17:22

Crowman

Why so much Haskell in my latest upgrade

Hi all.

So far as I know I have no Haskell on my system, when upgrading my system today the majority of the download was for Haskell, with a net install size of over 700mb. Has Arch introduced a new system which now requires Haskell? Or is there some software that has has Haskell as a dependency?

If it is not required by anything on my system how can I avoid downloading it in the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Crowman.

#2 2017-06-21 11:21:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Why so much Haskell in my latest upgrade

Crowman wrote:

So far as I know I have no Haskell on my system.

Then revise what you know - you clearly do have something that (now) depends on Haskell.

Crowman wrote:

Has Arch introduced a new system which now requires Haskell?

No, there is no "arch system" to have dependencies on anything.  There are only packages that you have installed.

Crowman wrote:

If it is not required by anything on my system how can I avoid downloading it in the upgrade?

If it was not required by anyting on your system, pacman wouldn't be downloaing it - so this is a moot point.

The question you should be asking is what package have you explicitly installed that now requires all the haskell dependencies and can you live without tht package?  To answer it you can look at the packages that would be upgraded by pacman (not those newly installed, just those being upgraded).  Then to narrow down the suspects, you can check if one of these now has haskell dependencies with `pacman -Si <pkgname>`.  There might be a more streamlined way to check which package would pull in the new deps ... hopefully it will come to me after I have my coffee if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

But the Haskell ecosystem is a huge beast.  Once something depends on GHC or another core bit of Haskell, you do end up with a *lot* of depdencies being pulled in.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-06-21 12:15:50

woodape

I find "pactree -r <Name of some Haskell package>" to be the easiest way to get reverse dependencies. pactree tells you what the dependencies of a target package are, pactree -r tells you what packages depend on the target package. Like Trilby says, you almost certainly have something that depends on it, and if it turns out that the pactree -r command comes up saying you don't have anything depending on Haskell, just uninstall it.

#4 2017-06-21 13:08:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

woodape, pacree is a much better approach than my guess and check.  But you'd have to use `pactree -sr ...` as the package(s) aren't installed yet.  Once they are installed, `pacman -Qi` could tell you a lot.

Specifically, the following should identify the package with the new dependency:

comm -12 <(pactree -srl $pkgname | sort) <(pacman -Qq | sort)

Where $pkgname is one of the new haskell packages that pacman wanted you to install.  (this is of course assuming you didn't go through with the update yet).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-06-21 13:23:20

woodape

Thanks for the one-liner Trilby, its getting an alias in my bashrc. It works even if the packages are installed, so Crowman should be able to sort this out and decide if he/she needs the haskell packages.

#6 2017-06-22 00:22:12

Crowman

Thank you all for the advice. It turns out that the depend was with pandoc, when I tried to remove it that had a depend on jupyter. So in the end I had to remove all of the jupyter stuff then pandoc. After a "pacman -Syu" the upgrade had come down to a net upgrade of just under 3mb with no haskell.

Again thanks

Crowman (he).

#7 2017-06-22 00:38:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Er ... quite a while back pandoc did depend on a lot of haskell packages, but not anymore.  I take it you are not using pandoc from [community].

EDIT: oh ... I take it you are using [testing].  So this was posted in the wrong subforum.  Moving to the testing subforum.

#8 2017-06-22 01:45:01

Crowman

Looking at the repository for both [Community] and [Testing] they both list haskell packages as dependencies and they both show jupyter-notebook etc. as requiring pandoc. I expect that when installing jupyter, pandoc was pulled in as a requirement.

#9 2017-06-22 02:18:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Crowman wrote:

Looking at the repository for both [Community] and [Testing] they both list haskell packages as dependencies

Look again.  I have pandoc from [community] with no haskell deps.  They are not listed as dependencies, only as build dependencies.

#10 2017-06-22 20:32:36

Crowman

Sorry, quite correct.

#11 2017-06-23 11:26:08

parchd

I just went to update on a non-testing system and also noticed that pandoc from [community] now has a lot of haskell deps. Unlike the OP, though, I explicitly want pandoc. So I guess I'll have to live with it.

#12 2017-06-23 11:34:18

OliK

I am having the same issue with the new version of pandoc:

$ pacman -Si pandoc
Repository      : community
Name            : pandoc
Version         : 1.19.2.1-79
Description     : Conversion between markup formats
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://pandoc.org
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : ghc  haskell-http  haskell-juicypixels  haskell-sha  haskell-aeson  haskell-base64-bytestring  haskell-blaze-html  haskell-blaze-markup  haskell-cmark  haskell-data-default
                  haskell-doctemplates  haskell-mtl  haskell-extensible-exceptions  haskell-filemanip  haskell-haddock-library  haskell-skylighting  haskell-hslua  haskell-http-client  haskell-syb
                  haskell-http-client-tls  haskell-http-types  haskell-text  haskell-texmath  haskell-network  haskell-old-time  haskell-pandoc-types  haskell-parsec  haskell-random  haskell-scientific
                  haskell-tagsoup  haskell-temporary  haskell-network-uri  haskell-unordered-containers  haskell-zip-archive  haskell-vector  haskell-xml  haskell-yaml  haskell-zlib
Optional Deps   : pandoc-citeproc: for citation rendering with pandoc-citeproc filter
                  texlive-core: for pdf output
Conflicts With  : haskell-pandoc
Replaces        : haskell-pandoc
Download Size   : 3.26 MiB
Installed Size  : 31.95 MiB
Packager        : Felix Yan <felixonmars@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Thu 22 Jun 2017 12:14:31 PM CEST
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

Installed Version:

$ pacman -Qi pandoc
Name            : pandoc
Version         : 1.19.2.1-72
Description     : Conversion between markup formats
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://pandoc.org
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : gmp  libffi  zlib  pcre  cmark
Optional Deps   : pandoc-citeproc: for citation rendering with pandoc-citeproc filter
                  texlive-core: for pdf output [installed]
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : pandoc-static
Replaces        : pandoc-static
Installed Size  : 55.08 MiB
Packager        : Felix Yan <felixonmars@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Mon 12 Jun 2017 01:25:29 PM CEST
Install Date    : Wed 14 Jun 2017 02:21:30 PM CEST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

#13 2017-06-23 11:39:27

fluxboxer

Sorry, quite wrong, as of today. pandoc's all of a sudden decided to require all the haskell packages (100). Tried first removing and then installing again, but that doesn't change anything.

#14 2017-06-23 12:33:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

fluxboxer wrote:

Sorry, quite wrong, as of today.

Wait, you mean packages from [testing] actually move into the main repos?!  How could it be!

Yes, this is now not just a testing repo issue.  That does not mean I was "wrong" before - you are quite wrong.

Moving to Package & Upgrade issues forum.

#15 2017-06-23 13:13:54

Pank

For better or worse, git-annex also has many new Haskell dependencies.

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#16 2017-06-24 12:43:40

itsnotme

Shellcheck used to require GHC only for building, but now started requiring it for running. sad (Here's the diff: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/comm … 6517952197)

Last edited by itsnotme (2017-06-24 12:45:45)

#17 2017-06-24 13:23:29

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I'm not sure why this thread has suddenly turned into a list of packages that directly or indirectly depend on haskel, but it is not productive. If you are unhappy with having to install dependencies, then the options available to you remain the same: rebuild the affected packages yourself, without the unwanted dependencies, or use something else.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer