You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-21 06:34:18

jtag1458

No video without "nomodeset"

Hey guys,

I just installed on an HP Pavilion 17 and I seem to be having some video issues. At first i couldnt even get the Installation to boot, because it would load so far then the screen would go black and start turning on and off. Then after some research I found that adding "nomodeset" to the boot config file worked. After installation I had to add "nomodeset"  to grub aswell due to the same problem. I have since installed xf86-video-amdgpu, xorg-server, and plasma. Now it seems that xorg is not liking the "nomodeset" parameter. It is giving me the error:

[drm:amdgpu_init[amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting

Again, removing the nomodeset parameter the previous blank screen error.

#2 2017-06-21 08:10:26

zuwarm

Re: No video without "nomodeset"

I have a similar problem with Intel graphics. If I disable kernelmodesetting Xorg doesn't start (at least with Xorg 'intel' driver). I ended up with a xorg.conf and using the Xorg 'vesa' driver, which is very slow.

Does Xorg start if you enable modesetting? You can't use the console but X might work.

#3 2017-06-22 14:50:48

rubik

I have a similar issue as well. I believe it was caused by an update, but my dumb self never rebooted in the last 30 days so I just found out.

Anyway, I think that the problem lies deeper than Xorg. When I boot I get a blank screen, although I confirmed I can in fact log in in my tty1 and write a file. Of course I did this blindly, because the screen was blank the whole time.
I rebooted with nomodeset and I get some video, but the characters are huge. I still cannot make Xorg to run, because it exits complaining that /dev/dri/card0 does not exist. I tried the "modesetting" and "intel" drivers.

EDIT: Not even the "vesa" driver works! I'm pretty lost... I hope somebody can chime in soon because that's my laptop and I kind of need it urgently.

EDIT 2: downgraded kernel from 4.11.6-1 to 4.10.13-1 (linux-headers as well) and everything is back to normal. I'm running smoothly with "modesetting" driver again!

Last edited by rubik (2017-06-22 16:19:29)

#4 2017-06-25 15:36:33

k0ste
Website

It is funny, but WITH nomodeset Matrox 200 show only blank screen. I create FS#54398, but actually modules loads fine after I disable nomodeset.

#5 2017-06-29 03:13:36

tom.ty89

Maybe you can try modprobe.blacklist=amdgpu (and maybe additionally, modules-load=radeon) instead of nomodeset. IIRC some of the AMD cards is supposed to be able to work with both drivers. If yours is one of those you might have better luck with the radeon driver.

Board footer