You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-29 07:18:39

caelia

Has anyone built gnome-bluetooth without PulseAudio support?

Hi, all--

I think I would like to use gnome-bluetooth, but it depends on pulseaudio-bluetooth, which  in turn depends on pulseaudio. And PulseAudio is permanently banned from any Linux box under my control (I have my reasons, and I'm not interested in discussing them).

I don't use bluetooth very often, and when I do it's mostly for file transfers. So I'm fine with not being able to stream audio over bluetooth. But it doesn't appear that there is any configuration switch to disable the PulseAudio dependency. So I guess some deeper-level patch would be required, and I don't think I'm enough of a C programmer to do it.

So, as the title says, has anyone built the package without bluetooth? Can you tell me how you did it? Thanks!

Last edited by caelia (2017-06-29 07:19:25)

#2 2017-06-29 08:55:48

mpan
Website

Re: Has anyone built gnome-bluetooth without PulseAudio support?

Is PulseAudio banned or libpulse? These are two different things: pulseaudio is a server, libpulse is a client API. I truly doubt that source code depends on the server part and client part is not harmful, as it does nothing except providing API. It will run fine without PA server or it can even be fooled to think PA server is there using apulse, which will simply route audio to ALSA.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#3 2017-06-29 10:45:27

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Has anyone built gnome-bluetooth without PulseAudio support?

On a quick glance at the code there doesn't seem to be anything that would  explicitly require pulseaudio-bluetooth (at least directly in the gnome-bluetooth codebase, didn't look at potential deps). You can try pulling the package with asp and checking if it builds and runs without the explicit pulseaudio-bluetooth dep? You might have a case on a package bug report if that is the case. Alternatively since AFAIK gnome's course is undoubtetly very pulse-centric you might want to use an alternative client like blueman or similar

Last edited by V1del (2017-06-29 10:45:54)

Board footer