You are not logged in.

#51 2017-06-26 12:52:21

Cube777
Website

Re: dotgit - A comprehensive solution to managing your dotfiles

Hey guys,

Following a few issues on GitHub I've made a new release. I had to rewrite dotgit after realising the current codebase would be inadequate for improvement and thus the new release is much cleaner and robust. To those who opened the issues I apologise that it took so long to fix them, life got in the way the past few months smile The new version is not yet available under the normal 'dotgit' package only under 'dotgit-git' (development version). It would be great if some of you guys can help test the new version before the official release. The most notable new features are:

- You can now specify multiple categories instead of just one. This allows for a much greater flexibility than before (#2)
- Filenames finally support spaces (#3)
- dotgit is quiet now. There is almost no ouput except for a few prompts (password, overwrite confirmation etc.) unless you enable "verbose" mode.
- Bug #4 fixed (erroneous commit message and pushing even though there is no changes)

Any help would be appreciated smile Thanks for your continuing support!

dotgit - A comprehensive solution to managing your dotfiles

#52 2017-06-30 13:05:14

Cube777
Website

Hey guys,

The new version (1.4.1) is now officially released and available under the main package in the AUR following no bug reports and lots of testing on my own the last couple of days. Hope you guys enjoy the new update!

#53 2017-07-29 12:11:24

Cube777
Website

Good day,

I've released a new version (1.4.2) that allows you to create category groups - this makes handling a large number of categories much easier. See the help text for more information.

#54 2017-08-31 19:29:30

poomic

Hello there.
I've just started to use dotgit. I have a question regarding remote repo.
Why do I need to type password every time I issue "dotgit generate" even if I set sshcommand in my .git/config file? Also I am able to test ssh to my remote repo so keys are just fine. Any suggestions?

#UPD
aw, nvm just managed to replace https with ssh in my config, no problems so far.

Last edited by poomic (2017-08-31 19:36:52)

#55 2017-08-31 19:34:59

Cube777
Website

Hey poomic,

Dotgit internally just does a "git push" so I'm not sure why it would not use your ssh keys without a password. Are you sure that it is the ssh key's password that you are entering and not the repo encryption password (which would be asked every time it needs to re-encrypt files due to changes)?

#56 2017-08-31 19:38:21

poomic

Ye, I've just figured out that I've preconfigured my repo with https access instead of ssh. Thanks a lot for quick reply.

#57 2021-12-21 03:51:29

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Hi, i was wondering how this compares to something like vcsh ? It looks like dotgit basically syncs files from the home dir into the dotgit repo, and vice versa, based on some "rules" ?
can the rules refer to entire directories or are they per file?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#58 2021-12-21 09:11:07

Cube777
Website

Hey Dieter@be - have a look at the getting started page in the documentation here: https://dotgit.readthedocs.io/en/latest … arted.html - the "rules" are a filelist that can be split up into categories/hosts etc., I think the getting started page (as well as the filelist syntax page here: https://dotgit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/filelist.html) will give you a good idea how dotgit operates.

Board footer