You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-30 21:38:07

BasementHacker
Website

[SOLVED] NetworkManager: disconnected, device not managed

I have an external WiFi dongle which I am trying to use to connect to the internet instead of my internal WiFi device. However, I believe the problem is that it is being detected as an Ethernet device. So NetworkManager keeps saing "disconnected" and then "device not managed" every other second, respectively.

/etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules
-----------------------------------

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:c0:ca:52:54:90", NAME="net1"
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManger.conf
---------------------------------------

# Configuration file for NetworkManager.
# See "man 5 NetworkManager.conf" for details.
[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true

SOLUTION: The hardware on that specific WiFi dongle reached its end-of-life. Bought a new Alfa WiFi dongle and everything started working just fine. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND WILLINGNESS TO HELP! That is what makes this (in my opinion) the best forum for Linux. Period.

Last edited by BasementHacker (2017-08-17 08:35:21)

#2 2017-07-01 07:55:29

seth

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager: disconnected, device not managed

lsusb
systemctl list-units | grep -iE '(net|wicd|dhcp|conn)'
ip addr

Get the name mapping out of the way for the moment, stop all network managing services and try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … nual_setup to see whether it works at all.

#3 2017-07-01 08:19:39

BasementHacker
Website

seth wrote:
lsusb
systemctl list-units | grep -iE '(net|wicd|dhcp|conn)'
ip addr

Get the name mapping out of the way for the moment, stop all network managing services and try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … nual_setup to see whether it works at all.

Just curious - why would I grep for WICd? The issue is with NetworManager. With WICd the "net1" interface acts as it should. "net1" also connects to my wireless network without issue when I do

wifi-menu net1

I will post everything you asked for tomorrow. I just got a notification on my phone that woke me up and prompted me to make this short reply. And thank you for the interest in willing to help.

#4 2017-07-01 09:02:19

seth

To see how many network managing services are active. This is a generic call that covers the typical ones. "conn" is ConnMan.

Running multiple network managing services on the same device at the same time is the #1 cause for this kind of trouble so it needs to be ruled out first - and apparently you do have netctl, wicd & networkmanager at least installed. Since the device works in general, you may skip the manual connection approach and lsusb.
It's either a race or a networkmanager related issue. In the latter case, avoid the dedicated naming udev rule as a first step.

PS: As I told you before, "you can expect people here around [...] not to ask stupid questions"

#5 2017-07-01 19:27:05

BasementHacker
Website

Sorry for the late reply. I had a client with an emergency database error issue. Anyway, here is the command output your requested.

lsusb - Output
systemctl list-units | grep -iE '(net|wicd|dhcp|conn)' - Output
ip addr - Output

Also, I followed the examples int the Wiki after stopping NetworkManager.

# iw dev
# iw dev net1 link
# ip link set net1 up
# ip link show net1

And EVERYTHING displayed exactly as the Wiki said it should. Until I went to scan. Seems like every time I go to scan it automatically brings the interface down. When I check with

# ip link show net1

it shows that it's no longer up.

# iw dev net1 scan
scan aborted!

So every time the interface goes to scan, it brings the interface down. What could possibly cause that? I'm assuming that's why NetworkManager can't use that interface either.

#6 2017-07-01 20:04:00

seth

NM scans frequently, yes.

Check dmesg for firmware loading (errors) and immediate output when attempting the scan.
Also compare the output of rfkill before and after.
Just to be sure: you saw the notice which explains that the UP/DOWN in the carets is the relevant one?

What is a bit odd is that "wifi-menu net1" seem to work w/o problems (or do you use an existing profile here? How was it created? Before some kernel update?)

--
OT: wrt to your other thread - it suggested you're using an UTF-8 setup, but the files you uploaded are ISO8859-1 or ISO8859-15 encoded, so something's still fishy there.

#7 2017-07-01 20:25:06

BasementHacker
Website

The only interesting thing I found in dmesg directly after attempting a scan was this:

[ 5049.945227] rtl8187 2-2:1.0 net1: renamed from wlan0

And I do not have any devices named wlan0 at all.
Also, I did a

rfkill list

before AND after attempting to scan with net1 interface, and nothing was hard blocked or soft blocked. Including the net1 interface.

To what are you referring to when you about the UP/DOWN carets?

And that was my mistake about "wifi-menu net1" working. I must have just done "wifi-menu" while net1 was down so it auto-selected my internal interface which has always worked without problem.

--

OT: yes I am using en_US.UTF-8 only. Nothing else. When I run those commands on my local terminal - they display correctly without those weird block images. Only when they are displayed on the Sprunge website they display those weird characters.

#8 2017-07-01 20:41:38

BasementHacker
Website

Yes, the problem was Sprunge. I will not use that anymore. The output displays correctly using ix.io so I will post those here to make it more readable.

lsusb - Output
systemctl list-units | grep -iE '(net|wicd|dhcp|conn)' - Output
ip addr - Output

Okay - well the 2nd command still displays those weird blocks, but it doesn't do it for "ip addr" with ix.io like it did with sprunge. Either way, it does not display those blocks or the escape characters when I do it in my terminal.

Last edited by BasementHacker (2017-07-01 20:46:02)

#9 2017-07-01 21:25:20

seth

The device starts as wlan<n> and then gets a "predictable" (or configured) name.
If that output occurs in direct relation to the scan attempt, this would suggest the device switches modes or fails and re-registers/initializes.
You can follow "dmesg -w" and should really look at the entire dmesg for rtl8187 related messages, a firmware related issue is rather likely.
Also check "iw list" for the device and its announced capabilities.

Finally you can try whether you can connect (and only scanning is affected) by copy/editing the wifi profile you already got in /etc/netctl/ to use the proper device (net1) and start the profile.

To what are you referring to when you about the UP/DOWN carets?

The line right above (scroll up a bit) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … ess_points

----

Yes, the problem was Sprunge.

I doubt so:

echo 'χüäöäłλß←↓→ŧ' | sprunge

=> http://sprunge.us/XUiS

It may be that ix.io autoconverted the files (and fails on one of them). If you want to be sure, gz the text and upload the binary.

#10 2017-07-01 23:46:07

BasementHacker
Website

I don't have any clue whatsoever how I managed to get this working. I edited some netctl files, I tried to connect with wpa_supplicant which failed, then I made a wpa_supplicant conf file, which then failed again. Then finally net1 was able to scan 1 time, then failed every time after that. Then I edited some NetworkManager conf files and eventually somehow it worked. But I am going to reboot and see if it still works fine or not.

EDIT: After a reboot, NetworkManager automatically connected to my AP using net1 (the external dongle) and seems to be working just fine. But the issue isn't "SOLVED", so how do I mark this? [RESOLVED BUT NOT SOLVED]?

Last edited by BasementHacker (2017-07-01 23:52:45)

#11 2017-07-02 06:57:38

seth

If you can determine what caused this, share that experience and mark the thread as solved, otherwise you can use eg. "[LATER]" or about anything but "closed" and "solved" in order to indicate that there's no progress expected or required atm.

#12 2017-07-02 16:54:04

BasementHacker
Website

I've marked it as later. Because now it's not working again for some stupid reason. I just don't have the time to troubleshoot my own personal issues while I have a client to deal with as you saw on that other post. But a HUGE THANKS for all your help here. You were able to help me get it working once. Now I just need to figure out which step exactly that was which made it work when I have time to so step-by-step and check everything after each "solution". Thanks again. smile

Board footer