You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-30 02:59:47

BasementHacker
Website

[SOLVED] Enabling Monitor Mode With iw

I have been trying to get my wireless card (with injection capability) to add a monitor mode interface. Everything I have tried has not worked. And I have read countless forums and man pages. Maybe I'm just too dumb? Anyways. The only command which doesn't produce any error message is

iw dev wlp0s20u2 interface add mon0 type monitor

Which I understand from the Wiki's, Forums, man pages, etcetera - is actually the command I should be using. However when I check with

iw dev

there is no "mon0" interface! I would like to be able to keep my wlp0s20u2 interface in managed mode for scanning while keeping the mon0 interface up as well. Anyone know how to go about doing this? I don't want to use airmon-ng or airmon-zc to put my card in monitor mode because then I can't keep my wlp0s20u2 interface in managed mode (plus those scripts are garbage and need to be updated).

Solution: Using the Arch Linux interface names don't work for me for some reason. The solution was to change "wlp0s20u2" to "net1" using udev rules. Now monitor mode with the same exact code above (replacing wlp0s20u2 with net1) produces a "mon0" interface capable of injection.

Last edited by BasementHacker (2017-07-02 16:59:00)

#2 2017-07-03 05:14:49

zo7aladam
Banned

Re: [SOLVED] Enabling Monitor Mode With iw

you can try this to enable the monitor mode

systemctl stop wpa_supplicant
ifconfig wlp0s20u2 down
iwconfig wlp0s20u2 mode monitor
ifconfig wlp0s20u2 up

and your wlp0s20u2 will be in monitor mode

#3 2017-07-03 05:23:44

BasementHacker
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Enabling Monitor Mode With iw

I appreciate your interest in helping me. However, the point of using "iw" for me was to "add mon0 type monitor". That way I could still scan with the interface with "iwlist" and inject with "mon0" interface. I wanted to add a monitor interface not replace the interface. It's for a script I've written. But again, thank you for your interest. That is what makes this community great.

Board footer