You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-01 05:53:47

kingkoronov

GRUB dissapears after booting Windows

I am doing a dual boot with Windows 10. I messed around with the installation process until I was able to boot into arch using GRUB. I mounted the file system, chrooted into it, mounted the existing EFI partition with "mount /dev/sda2 /boot/grub", installed GRUB using the command "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/grub --bootloader-id=grub" and then rebooted. Then I saw GRUB in the boot options and was able to successfully boot into Arch Linux. However, When I booted into Windows and then tried to boot back into GRUB afterwards, the GRUB option no longer showed up. After further experimentation, it seems that booting/using Windows causes the GRUB option to disappear. Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on or how to circumvent the problem? Does it have anything to do with my fstab file?

#2 2017-07-01 06:02:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: GRUB dissapears after booting Windows

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-07-01 06:06:38

kingkoronov

I'm having another problem. I hope I didn't break anything. After following what I'm pretty sure are the same steps, it says efi variables are not supported on this system when I do grub-install. I'll check out the wiki link though.

#4 2017-07-01 11:28:01

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

My guess would be that you have a machine where the firmware deletes entries that do not point to the default windows bootloader. Do search the forums for similar problems has there are a few cases like that.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2017-07-01 15:41:01

Annoyingduck

kingkoronov wrote:

I am doing a dual boot with Windows 10. I messed around with the installation process until I was able to boot into arch using GRUB. I mounted the file system, chrooted into it, mounted the existing EFI partition with "mount /dev/sda2 /boot/grub", installed GRUB using the command "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/grub --bootloader-id=grub" and then rebooted. Then I saw GRUB in the boot options and was able to successfully boot into Arch Linux. However, When I booted into Windows and then tried to boot back into GRUB afterwards, the GRUB option no longer showed up. After further experimentation, it seems that booting/using Windows causes the GRUB option to disappear. Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on or how to circumvent the problem? Does it have anything to do with my fstab file?

On some UEFI systems any major update of Windows or even a simple boot of Windows overwrites the grub entry (or any other bootloader other than Windows Boot Manager).  I have had this happen on some older UEFI Dell's where no matter what your bios default setting is, or no matter what you configure efibootmgr to, booting Windows sets the default to Windows. Your bootloader is not gone, it's just hidden from the system.  A very simple way to restore booting into Linux is to create a Refind bootloader on a usb drive.  Download the usb flash drive image file and write it to a usb here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html (I assume you know how to create a bootable usb). Then simply use your computers key combo to boot the usb drive, and your Windows and Linux systems will all be accessible via the Refind bootloader. Now if your system is one of the ones that always overwrites the bootloader when booting Windows, a very simple permanent solution is to set the default boot source in your bios to the USB drive, and just keep the Refind usb plugged into your machine - problem solved.  It's also very useful to keep a Refind USB hanging around, because often times it eliminates having to chroot into Linux to restore your bootloader if it should ever be corrupted.  Refind supports direct kernel image booting, so upon boot of Refind, the option to boot your installed Windows, Grub, or Direct Kernel are there.

You can also install Refind permanently by installing the package "refind-efi" and running the command "sudo refind-install".   Running that command at any point after installation will also set Refind as the default bootloader without having to mess around with efibootmgr if your default is ever changed unintentionally.  Hope that helps.

#6 2017-07-01 18:23:57

Maniaxx

If 'Windows Boot Manager' enforces/resets boot order (as described above) you can keep Windows at 1st 'boot order' but set it 'inactive' with efibootmgr. Make GRUB 2nd 'boot order' and it will boot always.

Last edited by Maniaxx (2017-07-01 18:24:45)

sys2064

#7 2017-07-01 20:55:29

kingkoronov

Annoyingduck wrote:

On some UEFI systems any major update of Windows or even a simple boot of Windows overwrites the grub entry (or any other bootloader other than Windows Boot Manager).  I have had this happen on some older UEFI Dell's where no matter what your bios default setting is, or no matter what you configure efibootmgr to, booting Windows sets the default to Windows. Your bootloader is not gone, it's just hidden from the system.  A very simple way to restore booting into Linux is to create a Refind bootloader on a usb drive.  Download the usb flash drive image file and write it to a usb here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html (I assume you know how to create a bootable usb). Then simply use your computers key combo to boot the usb drive, and your Windows and Linux systems will all be accessible via the Refind bootloader. Now if your system is one of the ones that always overwrites the bootloader when booting Windows, a very simple permanent solution is to set the default boot source in your bios to the USB drive, and just keep the Refind usb plugged into your machine - problem solved.  It's also very useful to keep a Refind USB hanging around, because often times it eliminates having to chroot into Linux to restore your bootloader if it should ever be corrupted.  Refind supports direct kernel image booting, so upon boot of Refind, the option to boot your installed Windows, Grub, or Direct Kernel are there.

You can also install Refind permanently by installing the package "refind-efi" and running the command "sudo refind-install".   Running that command at any point after installation will also set Refind as the default bootloader without having to mess around with efibootmgr if your default is ever changed unintentionally.  Hope that helps.

I sure hope that's the problem. I'll try rEFInd today.

#8 2017-07-03 21:06:21

Blasphemist

Did you turn off windows 10 fast boot?

Simple and Open

Board footer