You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-09 22:35:06

micrex22

XKB - how to turn off shift lock?

Hey guys,

This is a bit of an odd one. So occasionally I'll use the caps lock key for coding words in all caps so I don't have to hold down shift, with characters afterwards. I could just use shift for everything (true), but... caps lock is kind of useful for... locking the capitalization when needed.

However, it appears that Xorg implements some legacy typewriter 'shift lock' functionality to the caps lock key (I'm not sure if this is also on the original X Windows or something that X.org did; but I'll definitely be testing out AIX and Solaris when I have a chance to see if they mirror this behaviour).

So for instance, if we type the following:
<TEST.>

It will (if you type it fast enough and disengage caps lock at the right moment) come out as:
<TEST>>

You can also test this out by pressing caps lock and any of the special character keys like > or ?, and it'll alternate like this as if we were pressing shift instead:
.>.>.....>....>.>..
///??//?/?/?////?

Is there any way to turn off the shift lock that's inappropriately being assigned to caps lock (maybe something in xkbmap)? Or--should I ask someone on the Xorg IRC?

Cheers,

Board footer