You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-26 14:31:57

russose

No icons in Pencil

Hello,

I installed the application Pencil from AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pencil/) and I have no icons around in the application in menus and so on... instead of icons, I have the "name of the icon" what makes and awful GUI.

screenshot

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/aX3f7Ptln.png

Do you also face this issue? Do you know a way to solve this?

Edit: I have this issue on Gnome 3 but I installed pencil on my laptop with Xfce and it worded fine... I tryed to install many icon_packs but didn't work. Really strange.

Thanks for your help,
Salvatore

Last edited by russose (2017-05-27 07:16:37)

#2 2017-06-06 20:24:45

russose

Re: No icons in Pencil

Hello,

no ideas how to solve this wink ?

Thanks,
Salvatore

#3 2017-06-06 22:20:08

Steef435
Website

This has probably nothing to do with icon packs, seeing this is a node application. Also note that, in place of icons, words have appeared. Big chance these are font ligatures. So, instead of icon packs, you may be missing a font, or maybe they're not loaded correctly. Any debugging output from the command would be tremendously helpful (if node provides such a thing, I don't know).

A quick search shows that the main suspects are the FontAwesome and Material Icons fonts.

So, no solution yet, but at least a good nudge in the right direction I hope ^^

EDIT: Also, https://github.com/evolus/pencil/blob/0 … desktop.js
May be time for some fun with fc-match on both machines.

Last edited by Steef435 (2017-06-06 22:21:19)

#4 2017-06-09 19:24:54

russose

Thanks Steef435 for all this information. It helped me to clarify the situation but I have to admit that it is still a mess for me, I tried lot of thinks but no way to have pencil nice without these awefull GUI. Here is what I tried:
- uninstalling any package related to node... and reinstalling them (ex: simplenote)
- installing additional fonts related to awesome, but still not working
- installing xfce since my laptop is on xfce... not working
- create a fake user to be sure that it is not related to my config... no changes
- use fc-match on both machine to see witch fonts are installed and/or missing but the list on both machines is huge and I go nowhere following this path.

I am totally lost with no ideas how to proceed efficiently without trying hundreds of tweak hoping it will work.

I tried looking for a verbose mode when running pencil or any node app but I didn't found anything easy to do.

Any additional ideas to help wink ?

Thanks again for you help,
Salvatore

PS: I didn't understand what is interesting in the desktop.js you pointed...

#5 2017-06-11 15:16:06

Steef435
Website

My idea was that you could run fc-match FontAwesome on both machines and see if the results would differ (maybe FontAwesome is installed on one of the systems). You could try (manually) installing the otf and/or ttf from the FontAwesome website and see if that gets picked up by the application.

I thought the desktop.js was relevant because it took different font settings based on the DE (including xfce) but reading through the rest of the code now it's probably irrelevant.

#6 2017-07-11 16:45:19

joe666

Hi,

If this helps you after I installed ttf-material-design-icons from AUR https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf- … ign-icons/ icons shown properly in Pencil.

Cheers.

#7 2017-07-11 19:52:24

russose

Thanks, icons appeared after the installation of this font! Thanks a lot joe666 wink

Board footer