You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-05 17:10:30

Kin

i586 install + can´t get md5 checksum

Hi,

today I tried to install arch 0.5 i586 on a Pentium, according to the install instructions in the forum. Quite everything worked fine; I have a running base system.
I changed the pacman.conf to /testing/i586, made pacman -Sy, no problem,
but then I tried pacman -S xfce4  pacman -S kde (want to see how slow it is :-) ), but the when it tried to download the packages, the message
"can´t get md5 checksum for ...  <package-name> doesn´t exist or something like that appeared and pacman stopped. I tried it several times, no chance. Any hints ?

thanks

Kin

#2 2004-03-05 19:32:51

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: i586 install + can´t get md5 checksum

The repository is incomplete.  The base set is working fine, but the rest is in a state of flux right now.  You'll probably have to build the other stuff yourself.  I have xfree86 built, but not xfce4.

#3 2004-03-06 00:26:02

drivingmsjuki

Guys, this must be a stupid question, but is it possible to create the i586 package set by sync'ing the abs tree and then doing makeworld?

#4 2004-03-06 00:43:19

andy

Short answer : yes

Long answer : if you are really working on a classical Pentium, you probably will spend the weekend ;-) ... (xfree, KDE, Gnome .....). Also, the order in which packages should be compiled *may* be important.

#5 2004-03-06 01:42:26

drivingmsjuki

Actually it sounds better to just change the build prefs and do all the compiling on a P4 .. since it shouldn't matter what hardware is doing the compiling.

Uggh, if I remember anything from Gentoo days, it was that you had to compile the kernel, then the compilers, then the libraries, then repeat those three and go on to the rest of the system.

Gentoo was helpful, though, it encouraged me to keep looking for a better distribution! wink <ducks>

(with sincere apologies to the Gentoo folks)

#6 2004-03-06 02:02:35

sarah31
Website

drivingmsjuki wrote:

Guys, this must be a stupid question, but is it possible to create the i586 package set by sync'ing the abs tree and then doing makeworld?

not in every situation there are some sections where i686 may be hard coded in the PKGBUILD. cvsup for example you need to download the i586 binaries.

perl is major bitch to compile on anything but the target architecture.

Actually it sounds better to just change the build prefs and do all the compiling on a P4 .. since it shouldn't matter what hardware is doing the compiling.

been there done that. ALOT of builds require added configure option that pas host and build target because many many many configure script auto detect this.

Uggh, if I remember anything from Gentoo days, it was that you had to compile the kernel, then the compilers, then the libraries, then repeat those three and go on to the rest of the system.

ugh they did not even teach you that right roll

(gcc,glibc, gcc, binutils, bin86, kernel, etc libraries are way down the list)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer