You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-15 14:50:01

iscle

Issues waking from sleep [Suspend to RAM] (Toshiba P50-B-118)

Hi,

i've been trying to solve this issue by myself, looking solutions on the internet but unfortunately none of them worked.

To put you into situation, my laptop has the following specs:
Toshiba P50-B-118
Intel Core i7-4710HQ
8GB DDR3 RAM
Intel HD 4600 + R9 M265x from AMD
2 SSD

When trying to put the laptop into sleep it does it successfully, in less than 2 seconds it's sleeping. The problem comes when you try to wake it from sleep, sometimes it flashes whatever was open before and then goes to a black screen and sometimes it just goes to a black screen. The backlight is on, so that's not a problem. If you wait for 5 -8 seconds a non-blinking cursor will apear in the upper left corner, but you can't do anything. If I press Ctrl + Alt + Supr I can see some log messages and then the computer will reboot just fine. Also, Fn keys work when the cursor is displayed, because if I press the disable touchpad or disable wifi button and then I reboot, the two thing will be disabled.

Has someone had a similar issue?

Thanks.

Edit: when I say sleep I mean suspend to ram!

Last edited by iscle (2017-07-15 15:09:47)

#2 2017-07-15 14:56:33

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Issues waking from sleep [Suspend to RAM] (Toshiba P50-B-118)

To be clear, I assume we are talking about suspend to RAM.
No problems on this HP Envy.  Can you ping your box from another computer while in this state?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-07-15 15:06:24

iscle

ewaller wrote:

To be clear, I assume we are talking about suspend to RAM.
No problems on this HP Envy.  Can you ping your box from another computer while in this state?

Oops, yes, i was talking about suspend to ram. I edited my post.

I tried to ping the machine after waking from sleep and it does work (over wifi).

#4 2017-07-15 15:11:55

ewaller
Administrator

Can you change to a different console?  Try Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2017-07-15 15:16:16

iscle

ewaller wrote:

Can you change to a different console?  Try Ctrl-Alt-F2.

No, I can't. I can probably ssh into the machine if I enable it, would that help?

#6 2017-07-15 15:21:25

ewaller
Administrator

If it works, we know that must things are working and will give us the opportunity to look around.  If it doesn't work, that tells us that the system is largely hosed.
My hunch is that this is a confused GPU.

---

#7 2017-07-15 15:23:07

iscle

ewaller wrote:

If it works, we know that must things are working and will give us the opportunity to look around.  If it doesn't work, that tells us that the system is largely hosed.
My hunch is that this is a confused GPU.

Okay, I will enable SSH and see if i can log in. Also, I tried with an HDMI display and the same happens, the cursor stays at the upper left corner.

#8 2017-07-15 15:32:05

iscle

Okay, logged in with SSH and in htop this is what I can see: http://i.imgur.com/edIwYHg.png

After a while the screen came on and i could put the password and get to the desktop, but it hung there (probably because of the 100% cpu usage), htop was still working via ssh.

Last edited by iscle (2017-07-15 15:42:58)

#9 2017-07-15 16:01:57

ewaller
Administrator

This is all pretty good stuff.  The kernel is waking up which is a large part of the battle.  My next step would be to kill the Xorg process and see if you can restart it from the console.

Which GPU are you using?  Sadly, I cannot be of much use here as I have never owned a hybrid graphics system.

---

#10 2017-07-15 16:14:40

iscle

ewaller wrote:

This is all pretty good stuff.  The kernel is waking up which is a large part of the battle.  My next step would be to kill the Xorg process and see if you can restart it from the console.

Which GPU are you using?  Sadly, I cannot be of much use here as I have never owned a hybrid graphics system.

I tried to kill the Xorg process and it wouldn't do it... I assume the system is using the integrated Intel HD 4600 because the R9 M265x is for more demanding situations I guess...

#11 2017-07-17 06:27:06

duo8

I actually have the issue with screen content flashing too, the lock screen shows up afterwards. I never managed to solve it, probably a GPU thing.

#12 2017-07-17 09:36:25

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

@duo8
Don't try to hijack threads https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … _hijacking

@iscle
As ewaller says being able to ssh in is good, it means you can poke and look around the system. From the screen capture you shared I see you have Xorg running as root, I suppose it might not help but try setting it up to run as your own user (if you are not using a display manager): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xo … 28v1.16.29

As for killing X try sending the kill signal as root and not the normal term that top sends (I'm assuming htop also sends term by default). It would be very useful if you can post the output of 'lspci -nnk' so that we know exactly the hardware we are dealing with. Can you also tells us if you are using any login/display manager and which DE/WM? It will also be helpful to know which Xorg driver you are using (modesetting or any xf86-video-*).

You say you can reboot cleanly, that is good. Do a cold boot and do everything as you normally do to make the machine reach that black screen state, then make the machine reboot cleanly. After it reboots get the journal from last boot and share it with us. While you are at it try to get the xorg log from the previous boot as it might also contain any clues as to what is not working properly.

Have you tried to suspend and resume the machine without any programs running? What I mean is start your machine, start X but don't leave anything running (like chromium) before you suspend.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer