You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-16 15:23:40

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Samsung netbook fan

I have a Samsung NF210-A02US. The fan does not seem to be running. It has been this way for a while I think, though I don't know when. (The laptop had water spilt on it years ago.)

I opened the laptop to clean last week. The fan was caked in dust (but could spin). I cleaned it.  The laptop is cooler but the fan is not running.

I would like to know how I can check if the fan is broken and if there is anyway I can make the fan come on.

I tried running pwconfig:

> sudo pwmconfig                                                                                                                
[sudo] password for root:                                                                                                     
# pwmconfig revision $Revision$ ($Date$)                                                                                      
This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)                                                        
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

/usr/bin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed 

Also:

ll /sys/class/thermal/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jul 16 09:53 cooling_device0 -> ../../devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device0/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jul 16 09:53 cooling_device1 -> ../../devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device1/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jul 16 09:57 thermal_zone0 -> ../../devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/
> cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device*/cur_state
0                                                                                                                    

I tried setting cur_state to 1 and that did nothing.

Thanks.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#2 2017-07-16 18:13:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Samsung netbook fan

*Facepalm*  I tried to look at the manual for your device and got as far as the download page.  It is a f---ing Window executable. Sorry Pal.

So, trying the seat-of-the-pants method; does the fan run at startup for a second or two?  Many machines do this as part of a POST to ensure they can see the tachometer output and to verify the fan has a effect on the CPU temperature.  Also, what kind of temperatures are you seeing on the CPU and GPU?
As to testing it, is it a three wire fan, or a four wire fan?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer