You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-23 21:42:59

Mecaskcuf

[SOLVED] Blender lags heavily when selecting and moving objects around

Hello everyone,

Blender has been lagging heavily since a recent upgrade, although I cannot say exactly when because I didn't use it since march or april. Basically, there is a 2-3 seconds lag everytime I select an object or try to move it, and it doesn't just happen in complex scenes but the simple start scene with a cube, so it makes it absolutely unusable. The lag time seems to be proportionnal to the size of the window.
I use blender quite a lot in the past year and never encountered such an issue before.
What's more, the bug is retroactive for pretty much all anterior versions of blender that I tested, and I went back as far as 2014 version, so I guess it's pretty safe to say the problem doesn't come directly from blender, however I have a few other 3D applications that still work well.
Something interesting to note is that the nightly builds of blender 2.8 run much more smoothly, but sadly the 2.8 version is still completely unusable. I did a lot of research the past few days but couldn't find anyone else with the same issue, although I find it hard to believe that I would be the only one in this situation.

I am running on an intel chipset HD4000, with an intel i7 and 12Gb of RAM. I tried downgrading the xf86-intel-video driver back to january or so but it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for reading, I hope someone has a clue...

Last edited by Mecaskcuf (2017-07-17 12:06:00)

#2 2017-07-17 11:55:06

Aves

Re: [SOLVED] Blender lags heavily when selecting and moving objects around

Faced with the same problem and found a solution in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bl … ct_objects

When using onboard Intel graphics it may take 5-10 seconds to select an object. Change Selection in File -> User Preferences -> System to OpenGL Occlusion Queries.

Last edited by Aves (2017-07-18 04:29:02)

#3 2017-07-17 12:02:39

Mecaskcuf

Re: [SOLVED] Blender lags heavily when selecting and moving objects around

Aves wrote:

Faced with the same problem and found a solution in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bl … ct_objects

Thanks, that solved it, bad on me for not checking more cautiously the wiki.

Board footer