You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-18 19:33:58

ArchLinuxBestLinux

Fn key on non-Apple keyboard

Hi all,

I have generic usb keyboard that has the XF86 keys accessable when the Fn+F# combo is pressed. I use the media keys waaay more than the F# keys and would like to have Arch see the F# key as a XF86 key by default for easier access. I found this in the wiki and this from the Ubuntu wiki via google, but those pages apply for Apple keyboards only. I have the directory /usr/module/hid_generic/,  but no 'parameters' subdirectory (or hid_apple subdirectory for that matter).  When I:

sudo mkdir /usr/module/hid_generic/parameters

I get "Operation not permitted'. I'm not sure how I should proceed now. Please advise! Thanks!

Arch x86_64  + linux-hardened + zsh + i3
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H + AMD Phenom II X6 1090T + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

#2 2017-07-18 20:39:09

seth

Re: Fn key on non-Apple keyboard

First off: You're announcing the wrong path here, misleading readers. You're trying to write into /sys/module ...

On topic:
You need to adjust the driver, which the linked pages do via the sysfs interface. You cannot just write random stuff there and hope it works. The kernel module exposes its parameter to the filesystem, so writing into that "file" actually passes a parameter to the driver. What you're about to do would do nothing ... at best. That's why you cannot create directories in sysfs - it's not some inodes on your disk, it's the kernel you're writing into.

From your signature I take that this is not an integrated device ("notebook") but a "regular" external keyboard. Which in particular?

Board footer