You are not logged in.

#6001 2017-07-14 21:13:16

Texbrew

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

@dewabe, I took my first wobbly steps into Arch almost 3 years ago via VirtualBox. I now have installed on 3 machines as their main OS. The more I use it, the more I love it, too.

@hmpl, I hope your install went well.

@NeonMeatDream, I think most of us started with some other flavor of linux. I flirted with Ubuntu for a couple of weeks, decided it wasn't for me. I'm not a developer, just a regular user, but Arch is my favorite for the same reasons you mentioned.

I'm giving a laptop to my 14 year old grandson, and will likely install another flavor of linux on it. Like you, I hope he gets into Arch.

To all of you, welcome to the forum.

tex

#6002 2017-07-18 16:50:04

Frantz

Hi,

I'm an Arch/Parabola user for several years now (must be more than 4 years). Ed Snowden and his revelations made me ditch Windows completely. I was pretty fed up with the direction Windows was headed. Using Arch feels comfortable, it feels like I am in control. That drove me mad with Windows, I felt like losing control. 

I am interested in privacy and security issues and keep myself occupied with trying out hardware and software regarding these issues.

Well, that's all for now. Hello again and hopefully I will learn a few things.
Cheers!

#6003 2017-07-18 17:13:49

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

For the record: Parabola is a different distribution. Feel free to hang around, but for actual requests you should be at whatever support channels Parabola provides.

Last edited by Alad (2017-07-18 17:14:35)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6004 2017-07-18 17:39:31

Frantz

Thanks for the warm welcome, Alad. What a nice way of telling me to shut up/f* off. But don‘t worry I won‘t try to help anyone with my watered-down Parabola knowlegde.

#6005 2017-07-18 18:23:05

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

What a nice way of telling me to shut up/f* off.

That isn't what Alad was saying. We don't support Parabola or other distributions, but we welcome anyone who wants to contribute.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6006 2017-07-19 00:36:37

stillrottentothegore

Hey y'all,

New to the forums and new to Arch - seems like a pretty sweet community.  I've just recently installed Arch on a VM for the first time to try things out and see how it treats me.  I have past experience with Ubuntu/Mint mostly and was looking for a challenge/learning experience.  Hoping eventually I'll be able to contribute.  I speak English, French, and Swedish if anyone needs any help and has a bit of a language barrier (of course the forums are English-primary, but still good to throw it out there).

I enjoy playing the guitar and writing music, studying history/linguistics/politics (keep them off the board!!), and shooting/working on guns - I also work in tech support at an ISP.

Hope everyone's day is great!

#6007 2017-07-23 12:41:26

voltux

Hi everyone,

I am a mathematician from Greece currently living and working in France as a software developer / data scientist.

I have been a Linux user for about two years now and have been hopping around easy (as in gui installer, batteries included) distros ever since. I tried Arch a month ago and since then every Linux machine I own or maintain is running Arch. I absolutely fell in love with the distribution, everything is conceived and works as I would have wished it to, so thank you Archers!

#6008 2017-07-24 04:44:01

Texbrew

Welcome to our recently joined forum members. I hope you enjoy your new greased lightning Arch machines.

For an update on the laptop I'm giving to my 14 year old grandson, it was with seriously conflicting emotions that I installed Debian 9 on it a couple nights ago. I had to wipe its Arch Linux hard drive to do so, with regrets. I'm thrilled that he's interested in linux, but I don't think he has the patience for Arch yet. I will work on him, though.

Of my five grand children, he's the only one who seems to be interested in linux or even PC's and laptops, for that matter. The others only seem to be interested in their smart phones and game boxes.

Enough about that. As a 6 year linux user I was loyal to one distro, but test drove several others in VirtualBox. A little less than 3 years ago, Arch turned my head and I'm glad for it. You may have guessed the other Distro is Debian. I still use it, still like it very much, but Arch is my favorite.

Many of your comments about Arch echo in my own heart. Things like, "I wanted to learn linux better",  "I wanted control of my system, only installing  the software I need", "I was looking for a challenge". That one was my primary reason for installing Arch. The others are why I love it, and there are more reasons I won't list here.

We Arch users are not supposed to say it's the best, so I will only say it's hands down my favorite. I hope you new members enjoy it as much as I do.

tex

#6009 2017-07-25 17:17:23

emavys

Hi everybody.

I'm new to Arch too. Like most users I tried various distros in the past, mainly Debian, openSUSE and Fedora. I still have a Debian machine but for the first time I was testing Arch in an external hard drive (for three or four weeks more or less) and all I can say is that I can't be more satisfied. Two days ago I installed all the system in my laptop and all works well even bumblebee without problems, it even works cooler than all the other distros I tried on it. So I'm very happy.

Hope I can help in all I can.

#6010 2017-07-25 19:58:07

Texbrew

@emavys, is that the machine where Debian was?

Do you mean cooler in actual temperature or as in, "That's so cool"?

Welcome to the forum.

tex

#6011 2017-07-25 21:10:25

R1220

Hello to everybody!

I'm Raf and I'm quite new to Arch and Linux in general,let say...a couple of years learning, taking a break just enough to forget most of what I've learnt, and then start again.
I'm writing here because probably I'll never write again... Just because I can find answers to all my question for the next 3 years (at least),  and I don't think I can be very helpful to some of you!

I'm joking...maybe! But I'm really a noob.

Anyway, Hello to all of you!

SXQncyBmcmVlemluZyEgUGxlYXNlIGNsb3NlIHRoZSBHYXRlcyBhbmQgU0hVVCB0aGUgV2luZG93cyE=

#6012 2017-07-25 22:24:46

emavys

@Texbrew

Texbrew wrote:

@emavys, is that the machine where Debian was?

Do you mean cooler in actual temperature or as in, "That's so cool"?

Welcome to the forum.

tex

Well, I still have Debian on a desktop but in my laptop I had Debian Stretch since the day it was launched as stable. Now I removed Debian and instaled Arch. While Debian Stretch usually works between 50 and 52 degrees now whith Arch is under 50, now after being nearly 15 minutes uptime the sensors command says that temp is 42 degrees while Debian in five minutes in this same laptop was usually in 48.

I usually surf the web, watch some youtube videos and some music listenig at times and all I can say is that Debian Stretch can reach 58 degrees with easy. Now with Arch doing the same things never goes over 50 (if it reaches that temperature).

Since I use Arch all I can say (refereing to temperature) is al least Arch runs 5 degrees cooler than Debian on the same machine. My laptop is a Packard Bell EasyNote TS44HR.

#6013 2017-07-26 07:28:39

Plousios

GNU nano 2.8.5                        File: introduction.sh

#Introduction to Arch Linux support group.
echo Hello my name is Plousios and I have an Arch Linux problem.
sleep 2.5
#Dull voices respond in unison:
echo Dull voices respond in unison ...
sleep 2.2
echo Hi Plousios...                                     
#I start blabbing on about my problems..
sleep 1.8                                               
echo So my problem is...
sleep 0.8
echo blah
sleep 0.4
echo blah
sleep 0.4
echo blah
sleep 0.4
echo blah
sleep 0.4
echo blah
sleep 0.4
echo blah
sleep 0.4
echo blah
sleep 0.7
#Interuption in dull unison..
echo "Suddenly I'm interupted im dull unison.."
sleep 2.8
echo Did you rtfm?

^G Get Help    ^O Write Out   ^W Where Is    ^K Cut Text    ^J Justify     ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit

Anyways.. I'm new here (newbie). Expanding my knowledge and enjoying Arch Linux. Just getting around to saying hello. I am running Arch Linux with sddm, plasma, and everything else (running all of it as root). Not being entirely literal about that last part, just making bad jokes. I am however running an Arch system on my terms the way I want with the things I want in it, after rtfm-ing quite a bit, still have a lot yet I want to accomplish, learn and create. Arch Linux has been awesome can't wait to grow into being apart of this community. Truly enjoying the simplicity of Arch. I've tried Antegros (gross) been to Manjaro and don't much care for that country. Bad jokes again last time I promise. I also use kubuntu 14.04 and windows 10 for some things if I have to. Thank you to everyone that pulled together to make Arch Linux and continues to do so. Again Hello and thank you!

Plousios
(Ploo-c-aws)

Shell script and post written from my Nexus 6P, Termux, Pure Nexus MM (root, xposed, etc... not relevant but some of my favorite things)

"If it ain't broke fix it til it is."

#6014 2017-07-26 12:55:21

lquidfire

Hi all!

My name is Edmund, I live in South Africa but am originally from Holland, and I am new to Arch!

After a couple of years of dual booting (games and all that) I decided that if I ever wanted to dive into linux and learn more than just install and maintain Ubuntu, I should just wipe and install linux only.

I have always been attracted to Arch for probably many of the same reasons that one could find in this forum thread if one were to read it all: learn about Linux, about Arch, have-it-my-way, tinker with my pc... And so, here I am. I admit still dual booting Ubuntu Mate, so that my wife and I can still work on the computer (we run our own business, all on linux) while I figure things out.

Looking much forward to learning linux and arch, and becoming part of a seemingly great community!

Greetings from the southern hemisphere!
Edmund

#6015 2017-07-28 03:32:59

Texbrew

Welcome the the forums, fellow newbies. Now these were some fun to read posts, y'all.

@Edmund aka lquidfire, you didn't pose it as a question, but yes, I have read this entire thread, all 6,014 posts, and many other entire threads, too. The reasons people switch to Arch is a very long list, and I can identify with a large number of them.

I hope you enjoy your Arch machine(s) and hope linux works well for you and your wife in your business.

Greetings from the "other" southern hemisphere - Texas.

tex

Edit: formatting & punctuation.

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-07-28 04:10:38)

#6016 2017-08-01 22:44:57

FraYoshi
Website

Hello to e.body!!
I'm using Arch since some months ago.. but never posted here on the forum, even if I read some threads smile

Let's talk about me:
FraYoshi is a barman that works also as CG-animator/modeler, film-maker and studies Computer science by himself :]
is Linux addicted and the main projects in which he believes are IPFS, ZeroNet, Wikileaks, Google (yes, It is supporting nice things), a world without boundaries (freedom) and obviously in the arch linux community ^^

About this.. He passed almost 3/4 years ago to Linux with his netbook without HDD.. so He installed Linux mint, started exploring the linux world and felt affascinated! So He installed Ubuntu Studio on the desktop io keepin' a dual booting with windows..
Almost 1 year and a half ago He decided to completelly delete the windows partition.. and a cuople months ago took that decision: formatting every HDD to start by zero with Arch smile

Arch has always been something unreachable for me.. I always desidered using It in the last years but never been brave enought.. I always thought to be  not enought prepared... But now I'm with It and feel like the happiest person in the wolrd ^_^

So I'm happy to say HELLO!!!! To people that, like me, use or are part of the Arch distribution!!

Also want to say THANKS to Judd Vinet for starting this all ^^

FraYoshi,
a freedom and so linux lover : ]

Last edited by FraYoshi (2017-08-01 23:07:52)

https://keybase.io/frayoshi
Pgp: B41370007e0dfc34942cfa033fc5f028e7aff594

#6017 2017-08-03 14:41:17

afaye

Hello Everybody,

I used Arch Linux for just over two weeks in Virtual Box under Windows, and have taken the plunge to switch over my Windows machine to Arch.

I am still in the process of installing/configuring Arch, and it has been slow going because of all the documentation and research I have to do to get it going.

Well, I am new to Linux and Arch so I thought I say hi here in the "Newbie Corner". :-)

#6018 2017-08-03 21:18:17

Texbrew

@FraYoshi and @afaye, Welcome to the forums. That's a bold move for both of you, wiping Windows and installing Arch.

I'm not here to bash Windows. I will say you can live without it. I have used linux for 6 years, and have done without Windows for about 5 years and I don't miss anything about it. I have been using Arch Linux for about 3 years, and it's my absolute favorite.

Be patient as you do the steps to get your Arch machine and software configured just the way you want it, and Have Fun!

tex

#6019 2017-08-04 09:03:40

svrmirac

Hello from my new "Archie"!

This is my third Linux plunge and I like it best. I've tried Ubuntu and Mint before and couldn't stick with them but I can't really remember why.

A long time Windows user, I liked the 7 but thought the 10 is just rude so, here I am.

I had an issue with installing Arch but I got it right the second time around and, everything is working fine now. I'm still ironing out some issues with desktop icons and remebering window size/position but I'm actually enjoying the process. What I enjoy most is the feeling that my computer now only does what I asked it to.

Cheers!

#6020 2017-08-05 17:01:26

Texbrew

Hello, svrmirac, and welcome. I remember very well why I ditched those three, but we're not here to bash them, so let's move on.

You said you got Arch right the second time, so did I - mostly right, anyway. You said you are still working out some things, and that sounds familiar, too.

Lastly, you said,

svrmirac wrote:

What I enjoy most is the feeling that my computer now only does what I asked it to.

I think that's a key reason why most of us love Arch. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

tex

#6021 2017-08-09 17:48:32

lquidfire

Hi Texbrew and fellow new guys!

Thanks for the welcome smile Much appreciated. Struggling to get the flickering of my screen away, but hesitating to open a post about it. The net seems packed with threads about this problem and that makes it hard to find and attack the problem. I'm still determined, even though my wife thinks I spend too much time looking at the screen.. ><

I've lived in MN for 2 years, Texbrew, and traveled around the US a bit while there. Never made it to the Lone Star State, I'm afraid - Arizona is the closest I got (visited friends in Phoenix, traveled up to Sedona, Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, Badlands...). Good memories of Shiner Bock tho!

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome!

#6022 2017-08-09 23:27:48

gberta

Going to learn how to install arch.  I have tried the easy install versions, I want to build my own.  Looking forward to the journey.

#6023 2017-08-09 23:32:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6024 2017-08-10 02:32:08

Texbrew

lquidfire wrote:

Struggling to get the flickering of my screen away, but hesitating to open a post about it. The net seems packed with threads about this problem and that makes it hard to find and attack the problem.

Here's a tip that might help you narrow down your search. In your search engine, type something like, "site=archlinux.org:screen flicker", but leave out the quotes. You may want to include your graphics card in the search terms.

I have not experienced any screen flicker with my arch machines, I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Shiner has some pretty good brews, and I give each new one a go. I try to support them by buying their beers. Many Texas breweries are no more. Example: You can still get Lone Star Beer, but it's now just another brand in the Coors-Miller line up.

I like beers from all over the world. I like Heineken, though I doubt it's the most popular beer in Holland.  I don't think I've had the pleasure of any South African beers.

Back on topic, I hope you conquer the screen flicker, and that you continue to enjoy Arch Linux.

Cheers!
tex

#6025 2017-08-10 02:42:05

Texbrew

@gberta, the installation guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide may seem difficult to follow, but you will thank yourself for working through it. I bet you have already had a look at it.

Here's to building your own and getting it set up just the way you want it.

tex

Board footer