You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-18 09:33:38

stillrottentothegore

[SOLVED] Having trouble booting into GUI

Hey everyone,

Super noob to Arch here but spent a lot of time with other Debian distros.  I recently installed Arch in a VM via the Installation Guide on the wiki, and it seemed to go without a hitch.  I installed Cinnamon via pacman and rebooted my vm.

I then noticed that when I was booting up again, it came up with:

"A start job is running for dev-disk-by\xZduui xZd700da770ac0f.device (Xmin Xs / 1min 30s)"

I did notice that the "700da770ac0f" portion is the end of the UUID for my swap partition.

Additionally, after the reboot, I enabled SDDM via "sddm enable service.sddm", and then logged in, however then I got the following error:

"could not connect to session bus failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-dUyEfMMKb: Connection refused"

...and the only option I had was to "Log out", which I did, and it just gave me a black screen I couldn't escape without rebooting.

I've tried looking at previous threads (such as https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=216001 ) and tried everything but I can't seem to make it work.  I've installed guest additions, every iteration of xorg-* I can think of, and no dice so far.  I'm using VirtualBox Version 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.5.1), if that helps.  Not sure any other info you may need, but let me know and I'll give you any info you need.

TIA!!

RESOLUTION EDIT: decided on lightDM, but same concept for the solution.  Enabled the DM as:

sudo systemctl enable lightdm 

And all was well.  Thanks for the help.

Last edited by stillrottentothegore (2017-07-22 09:02:24)

#2 2017-07-18 11:32:02

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Having trouble booting into GUI

Usually VB guest addons need to run same virtualbox version as host to work,  and arch guest addons are for version 5.1.22 .

You could try installing the 5.1.18 virtualbox guest additions from upstream .

Sidenote :

until you're sure X configuration is correct, disable any display manager / booting into graphical target .
Troubleshooting X setup is much easier when booting into multi-user target and starting X manually .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-07-18 11:33:05

drcouzelis
Website

There's a few bits of information missing in your post...

Did you successfully finish installing Arch Linux? And by "finish" I mean, you removed your installation media (DVD, USB, ISO...) and were able to successfully reboot to the TTY terminal (because Arch Linux, by default, has no GUI)? Did you get to that point, before installing X or Cinnamon?

#4 2017-07-18 21:32:11

stillrottentothegore

drcouzelis wrote:

There's a few bits of information missing in your post...

Did you successfully finish installing Arch Linux? And by "finish" I mean, you removed your installation media (DVD, USB, ISO...) and were able to successfully reboot to the TTY terminal (because Arch Linux, by default, has no GUI)? Did you get to that point, before installing X or Cinnamon?

Sorry about that - install media was removed and was able to boot into the TTY terminal, absolutely, before installing X and Cinnamon.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Usually VB guest addons need to run same virtualbox version as host to work,  and arch guest addons are for version 5.1.22 .
You could try installing the 5.1.18 virtualbox guest additions from upstream .
Sidenote :
until you're sure X configuration is correct, disable any display manager / booting into graphical target .
Troubleshooting X setup is much easier when booting into multi-user target and starting X manually .

That's a good point that I didn't think of, I hadn't had VB updated to its latest edition before loading on guest additions.  I'll try removing guest additions, updating VB, and then installing guest additions again, tonight.  Will let y'all know how it goes.  Thanks again.

#5 2017-07-19 06:44:45

stillrottentothegore

Thanks again for the advice guys.

So first off I updated VB to its current version, Version 5.1.24 r117012 (Qt5.5.1).  Then when I booted up my VM I did a pacman -Syu to get everything updated.

Unfortunately, after enabling sddm with "sddm enable service.sddm", seems I get the identical error from before.

I would give more info if I could but I'm not really sure where to go with this.

#6 2017-07-19 10:36:09

drcouzelis
Website

stillrottentothegore wrote:

install media was removed and was able to boot into the TTY terminal, absolutely, before installing X and Cinnamon.

Great! Now, after booting to TTY, are you able to put "exec cinnamon-session" in your "~/.bashrc" "~/.xinitrc" file, run "startx", and successfully start Cinnamon?

EDIT: Fixed my filename typo. Thank you. I didn't sleep a lot last night. tongue

Last edited by drcouzelis (2017-07-19 13:06:10)

#7 2017-07-19 11:05:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

are you able to put "exec cinnamon-session" in your "~/.bashrc" file

You mean ~/.xinitrc I assume.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2017-07-19 11:39:30

stillrottentothegore

drcouzelis wrote:
stillrottentothegore wrote:

install media was removed and was able to boot into the TTY terminal, absolutely, before installing X and Cinnamon.

Great! Now, after booting to TTY, are you able to put "exec cinnamon-session" in your "~/.bashrc" file, run "startx", and successfully start Cinnamon?

So, after Trilby mentioned this:

Trilby wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

are you able to put "exec cinnamon-session" in your "~/.bashrc" file

You mean ~/.xinitrc I assume.

I wasn't sure which file you meant, so I went with ~/.xinitrc

I added "exec cinnamon-session" to the file, saved it, and then entered startx into the TTY.
  This was the output.

Since it generated a log file, I figured the info from there might be useful.  This was the output from that.

Hope this helps.  Really appreciate it.

#9 2017-07-19 11:49:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That error is pretty clear: you try to start xterm from your ~/.xinitrc, but you don't have xterm installed.  Please post your full ~/.xinitrc.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2017-07-19 20:05:08

stillrottentothegore

Trilby wrote:

That error is pretty clear: you try to start xterm from your ~/.xinitrc, but you don't have xterm installed.  Please post your full ~/.xinitrc.

Here you go.

So I installed xterm after pastebin'ing that file, and then after doing startx I was brought to the white terminal screen.  And although I had to manually type "exec cinnamon-session", I did successfully get to it.

Just to give some background, the reason I'm coming into this issue is because I've gone through the Arch install 3 or 4 times over the past week just to get a feel for it, and on the last one I installed Enlightenment (wasn't a big fan, that's why I'm doing Cinnamon now).

After installing Enlightenment, and then doing "sddm enable service.sddm", it took me to the login manager and would take me straight to Desktop after logging in (and would do so automatically everytime I booted up, without me making any changes).  I had sort of thought things would perform the same with Cinnamon, but then I get getting that error message.  Anyway just thought some background might help.

#11 2017-07-19 20:10:46

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Remove the "exec xterm" line (or just remove the "exec" if you want xterm to start with cinnamon). Nothing after the "exec xterm" line will run.

You should also remove all the junk before "exec xterm" -- that's left over from the default xinitrc that starts twm.

Delete this:

twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2017-07-19 20:14:53)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#12 2017-07-20 07:38:05

stillrottentothegore

Alright, with the advice of 2ManyDogs, I am now able to punch in startx and go straight to desktop in a Cinnamon session.

However, I'm brought back to my main issue of using the display manager and booting to the GUI this way.  I installed LightDM and lightdm-gtk-greeter, and at boot I did "sudo lightdm enable service.lightdm".  I got to the login screen, and when putting in my password, got a very similar error from before when I did it with SDDM.  This time:

"could not connect to session bus failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-lJCEKg73TL: Connection refused"

So I'm back where I started.  I've read the page on display managers and on LightDM but I seem to be missing something.

#13 2017-07-20 08:20:16

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Okay, let's see when this erroneous session path is set. Reboot and login, then immediately run

echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

Then run startx manually. In the opened cinnamon session run again:

Post the outputs here.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#14 2017-07-20 09:06:17

Lone_Wolf

So I'm back where I started.  I've read the page on display managers and on LightDM but I seem to be missing something.

Before we didn't know whether that error was due to display manager problems or Xorg configuration errors.
Now we know your Xorg config is correct, you have a working option and we can focus on DM issues.

post /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf , /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log .
journalctl -b and/or dmesg could also help.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#15 2017-07-20 10:03:24

stillrottentothegore

WorMzy wrote:

Okay, let's see when this erroneous session path is set. Reboot and login, then immediately run

Then run startx manually. In the opened cinnamon session run again:

Post the outputs here.

For the former:

unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus

For the latter:

unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
Lone_Wolf wrote:

Before we didn't know whether that error was due to display manager problems or Xorg configuration errors.
Now we know your Xorg config is correct, you have a working option and we can focus on DM issues.

post /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf , /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log .
journalctl -b and/or dmesg could also help.

Good point.

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

journalctl -b

dmesg

#16 2017-07-21 10:15:06

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Well, your dbus session is correct in the TTY and cinnamon session, so I guess this lightdm and sddm were causing problems somehow. Your journal is from a session where you didn't run lightdm, so isn't particularly helpful. Could you run lightdm, attempt to log in, then upload the journal again and post it here.

Could you also post the output of

# pacman -Qqkk
# pacman -Qo /etc/pam.d/*

Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

#17 2017-07-21 22:15:12

stillrottentothegore

WorMzy wrote:

Well, your dbus session is correct in the TTY and cinnamon session, so I guess this lightdm and sddm were causing problems somehow. Your journal is from a session where you didn't run lightdm, so isn't particularly helpful. Could you run lightdm, attempt to log in, then upload the journal again and post it here.

Could you also post the output of

# pacman -Qqkk
# pacman -Qo /etc/pam.d/*

I'm stuck at a black screen after the error comes up, so I can't output a journal at that point.

pacman -Qqkk

pacman -Qo /etc/pam.d/*

#18 2017-07-22 03:53:38

herbie643

Maybe I am way off base but I use sddm and I have never used the command sddm enable sddm.service
I used systemctl enable sddm which puts a display service in /etc/systemd/system iirc.
Doing what you are doing after reading the man page for sddm, there is no enable option, so I wonder if sddm is running in a one-off situation causing you problems.
Just my

#19 2017-07-22 09:00:41

stillrottentothegore

herbie643 wrote:

Maybe I am way off base but I use sddm and I have never used the command sddm enable sddm.service
I used systemctl enable sddm which puts a display service in /etc/systemd/system iirc.
Doing what you are doing after reading the man page for sddm, there is no enable option, so I wonder if sddm is running in a one-off situation causing you problems.
Just my

Well thanks man, that did it!   I ran lightDM via systemctl instead, like so:

sudo systemctl enable lightdm

Did a reboot, logged in, and there was my Cinnamon session.  Thanks for all the help guys.

#20 2017-07-22 10:05:05

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Well spotted, herbie.

Glad this is solved, stillrottentothegore, but it looks like your openssh package is damaged. If you need any help fixing that, please open a new topic about it.

#21 2017-07-22 10:06:45

stillrottentothegore

WorMzy wrote:

Well spotted, herbie.

Glad this is solved, stillrottentothegore, but it looks like your openssh package is damaged. If you need any help fixing that, please open a new topic about it.

Thanks for the heads up my friend, I'll tackle that when the time comes and if I need a hand I'll be back with another thread.  Cheers all.

#22 2017-07-22 14:34:33

herbie643

Thank you WorMzy, glad I was able to help.   Sometimes the obvious just escapes us.

Last edited by herbie643 (2017-07-22 14:35:56)

Board footer