You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-21 00:43:10

nsirons

Alternative to oh-my-zsh

Currently I have some weird problems with oh-my-zsh, it does not work properly as it supposed to be.
For example this is how my agnoster looks like:
DFoGBy5.png

I found solution here on forum like "just delete oh-my-zsh and use grml", but then I cant find any reasonable answer on how to actually set up theme, or what to do with grml
Could you please write short guide, or point in some direction on how to set up agnoster/own theme

Thanks in advance

Last edited by nsirons (2017-07-21 00:44:06)

#2 2017-07-21 00:48:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Alternative to oh-my-zsh

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-07-21 01:00:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Replacing oh-my-zsh with grml for your shell configs is like replacing poison with fast food as your only food intake: it's less bad, but not good.  Learn to cook.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-07-24 11:56:14

loadlover

Trilby wrote:

Learn to cook.

Flame-grilled chicken pieces kept in the 'fridge are a healthy, yet convenient, option.

#5 2017-07-24 12:39:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Prepackaged mystery meat is not.

If we're going to stretch the metaphore, the OP is clearly exemplifying the mystery meat: things either magically work, or they magically fail, there is no understanding of what's in it or how it works.  There is no magic pill substitute for learning.  Bundles like oh-my-zsh prevent that learning from happening - so if/when they work perfectly, they may seem conveient, but when they (frequently) cause problems or do not to what the user wants, there is no viable solution but to ditch them.

The alternative to oh-my-zsh would be to read the documentation and learn.  Also have a look at example rc files (like those linked from the wiki in post #2).  But learn what those examples are doing and apply the same thing in your config files; don't blindly copy and paste someone else's configs.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2017-07-24 14:30:35

eschwartz
Fellow

loadlover wrote:
Trilby wrote:

Learn to cook.

Flame-grilled chicken pieces kept in the 'fridge are a healthy, yet convenient, option.

Sure, but only when I know who cooked them! (preferably me)

Do you have any idea the garbage some fools will buy? And that is even without getting into the question of Kashruth.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2017-07-24 15:22:53

seth

Before this goes OT too much: starting out w/ grml fastfood to survive the first weeks while you're learning how to hunt, eviscerate and cook (parrots ;-P) is probably not the worst of all ideas.

Because, yes, i provides a lot of cool magic out of the box that you can start to look up, alter and extend. Why should a noob have an inconvenient shell? Why use zsh's black magic instead of bash itfp (where probably none of use has read and understood the entire codebase of either)

And unlike OMZ it's not a total disaster.

#8 2017-07-24 15:56:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

seth wrote:

And unlike OMZ it's not a total disaster.

I completely agree there.  I chose my simile intentionally.  I see these two much like aur helpers: there is one that is just horrible and should never be used, there are many others that are well made, but still should only be used once the user knows how the AUR works.

seth wrote:

Why should a noob have an inconvenient shell?

They shouldn't.  I've never bothered to use zsh as all the "features" that put it above bash have never been of any value to me, but I've only heard good things, frequently from people whose assessments I'd respect.  So I wouldn't think a vanilla zsh would be an inconvenient shell.  But if it is, why use it at all?  Don't start with broken and look for a fix - start with working and gradually add polish.  A command shell that is a PITA to use without bloated configs is just not properly designed in the first place.

#9 2017-07-24 20:26:22

seth

Vanilla zsh is far from inconvenient  .... until you compare it to one that's configured "better" smile

The grml config activates some useful settings and has nice dynamic promt extensions, but that's trading in more "bloat" (things you would not have done on an i386) beyond common needs.
Also it contains quite some grml/debian specific cruft and defnitions of convenience functions which you might or not have *any* use for (ever)

So it should be considered "look! what zsh can do more!" advertising and a mine to plunder and is a reasonably broad enrichment for its specific distro (a "what's wrong here and fix it" key - grml refers to "grummeln", ie. to grunt ;-) or casual shell users, who just want a bit more - but certainly isn't the ultimate answer to hardcore shell users either (no pre-fabbed config fits perfectly)

Board footer