You are not logged in.

#26 2004-03-05 23:45:33

sarah31
Website

Re: I am lost with understanding the Arch Build System

i suggest that you generally mention this part of the wiki to the package maintainers and other developers so they will put their comments. there is alot of small things to cover that never get covered (ie all package should be lowercase, avoid cvs or development packages when contributing, building using fakerrot and why it is important, DESTDIR/prefix=, etc)

little things like this end out being very annoying for TURs and package maintainers.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#27 2004-03-05 23:57:28

calexico

Well I'll do it, but as I just started it, I only wanted to make it a little bigger before. That's all. I'll have time tomorrow to complete it, but it's now 01:00 and I'm tired so..

#28 2004-03-06 02:07:46

sarah31
Website

like i said though it is still prudent to ask official package maintainers for their input.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#29 2004-03-06 06:01:07

yak8998

Alright, I'm sort of beggining to understand ABS as well, except what is the purpose? I know you can use it to build packages, but as far as installing them, its just an automatic configurer and installer, right? (as well as uninstall) so for installation purposes, isn't it the same as pacman?

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#30 2004-03-06 06:42:54

sarah31
Website

if you have some package that does not have the features enable that you like you cna use abs to rebuild it enabling those features, you can use it to build package and track their install and removal via pacman, you can run your own personal package repo if you have limited bandwidth or are testing packages you made.

i am sure other people can think of more.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#31 2004-03-06 21:11:56

calexico

Sarah be sure I'll ask them for input and tell them I started this wiki, the ony thing I wanted to say was that there no need to do so until the wiki has something in it, and it currently there is only a couple of lines.

I had problem coonecting to internet today so couldn't go on but I'll continue tomorrow or monday.

And an other question, who exactly should I contact ? A post on the documentation section of the forum is enough ?

As you see I'm pretty new to the forum so I'm not exactly sure of what I do good or bad, thank you for your advices.

#32 2004-03-07 06:01:29

sarah31
Website

there is a link to the developers list on the mainpage and from there you can click on one of their names for their email addy. i recommend this over posting just on the forum because only half of them are here regularily (if that). posting on the mail list could work well too i suppose as i think they have to be members there too (or they are encouraged to be)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#33 2004-03-07 16:42:02

calexico

mail sent to developers, and topic in documentation smile

Board footer