You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-24 10:52:52

daankata

Assigning windows names to Firefox profiles

I have two profiles in Firefox. One personal and one for work. I want to assign classes (WM_CLASS) /or names (WM_NAME)/ to each window profile so I can manage them easier in i3 by moving the specific window profile to a specific workspace.

So I assigned the Work profile class in the terminal with:

# firefox -p Work --class Work

This works perfectly and xprop catches that the class is "Work".

But I want when I start the profile with Firefox /not with the terminal/ to assign the class automatically.

Is there a way to achieve this. Extentsions could achieve this but I don't want to use any. Is there a manual way to start the Work profile with the profile manager and the class "Work" to be assigned to the window?

Thank you!

#2 2017-07-24 12:04:26

Omar007

Re: Assigning windows names to Firefox profiles

If I understand things correctly, you could probably just make two copies of '/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop' under '~/.local/share/applications/' (e.g. firefox-personal.desktop and firefox-work.desktop).
Update the 'Exec=' line in these copies to load the appropriate profile and set the correct class.

EDIT: Oh btw, if you want to hide the default Firefox entry and only show your own, either rename one of the two to 'firefox.desktop' so it overrides the default, or create a third copy as 'firefox.desktop' and add the line 'NoDisplay=true'.
See also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_entries

Last edited by Omar007 (2017-07-24 12:08:52)

Board footer