You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-12 23:04:11

GoreGrindGeek

Location of IBus icon [SOLVED]

G'day, everyone.

I'm quite curious as to where this IBus icon might sit (the default EN icon that comes bundled with the ibus package):
http://imgur.com/a/uLgbb
I've run a system-wide search for "*.jpg", "*.png", "*.gif" and "*.svg" but couldn't find anything. Google search wasn't particularly helpful either.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into converting to xfce, or openbox, or dwm with a black-background taskbar, and the colour this icon has wouldn't really fit or be readable, so I'd like to change it.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I have a minor question on the boot/shutdown output format, should I create a separate topic for it?

Last edited by GoreGrindGeek (2016-09-13 04:58:03)

#2 2016-09-13 00:21:49

mpan
Website

Re: Location of IBus icon [SOLVED]

Please post URLs to images, not only images/thumbs themselves.

The icon isn’t stored anywhere. It’s dynamically generated in ui/gtk3/panel.vala (called from  line 1042, from line 1402).

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#3 2016-09-13 03:28:34

GoreGrindGeek

mpan wrote:

Please post URLs to images, not only images/thumbs themselves.

That's not what the directions on the page say, as far as I understand them. My image is smaller than 250x250 and 50Kb, it's not a fullscreen image either, so there's no point in providing a link/thumbnail for it (it already is the size of a thumbnail).

mpan wrote:

The icon isn’t stored anywhere. It’s dynamically generated in ui/gtk3/panel.vala (called from  line 1042, from line 1402).

I've read some of the lines above and below the line you've referenced, but I can't see where it sets the colour.

#4 2016-09-13 04:36:16

mpan
Website

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

I've read some of the lines above and below the line you've referenced, but I can't see where it sets the colour.

There are two other directions in which one may read code. In this case: read deeper.

The background is not set explicitly. The foreground is taken directly from configuration, from property desktop.ibus.panel.xkb-icon-rgba. As described by the schema, it defaults to #415099 — the color we see on the screenshot.

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

My image is smaller than 250x250 and 50Kb, (…) so there's no point in providing a link/thumbnail for it (it already is the size of a thumbnail).

The first quote is about policies for removal, not for using a link. As for the other: seems like in the new CoC the semicolon has replaced a full stop. Later I’ll ask authors about fixing this, but the original idea wasn’t about size, but mere fact that with only img users may not be able to see it conveniently.

Last edited by mpan (2016-09-13 04:38:11)

#5 2016-09-13 04:57:31

GoreGrindGeek

mpan wrote:

There are two other directions in which one may read code. In this case: read deeper.

Very funny. I had ten minutes before I had to leave for work, so I can't see a reason to blame me. And it's not like I know how IBus is configured (I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew). And the other reason why I haven't looked at the code is because the icons for the ibus-m17n package are png images, so I naturally thought this one was too.

mpan wrote:

The background is not set explicitly. The foreground is taken directly from configuration, from property desktop.ibus.panel.xkb-icon-rgba. As described by the schema, it defaults to #415099 — the color we see on the screenshot.

Thank you.

mpan wrote:

The first quote is about policies for removal, not for using a link. As for the other: seems like in the new CoC the semicolon has replaced a full stop. Later I’ll ask authors about fixing this, but the original idea wasn’t about size, but mere fact that with only img users may not be able to see it conveniently.

Given the size restrictions, it's unlikely that this is a user-instigated policy. Anyway, I've changed it to what you requested.

#6 2016-09-13 05:13:51

mpan
Website

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

Very funny. I had ten minutes before I had to leave for work, so I can't see a reason to blame me.

And I can’t see the reason to be offended by what I’ve said.  I’ve provided the detailed information to show the thinking path I’ve used, to make it easier for others to investigate similar issues in future. No to attack anyone¹.

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

And it's not like I know how IBus is configured (I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew).

Neither do I. I’m not using ibus nor dconf, and this was my first “serious” encounter with Vala. Also, no need to explain yourself, as you’re accused of nothing.

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

Given the size restrictions, it's unlikely that this is a user-instigated policy.

Given that I was the one who originally suggested that policy, it’s very likely it is about what I said it is wink. Requesting users to provide a link along with an oversized image would be pointless.

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

Anyway, I've changed it to what you requested.

Thanks! But it seems you have misunderstood the request — which may explain why you were opposing it. It’s not about replacing an image with a link, but about also providing a link. Like that:
d0elQTP.png
Does it make more sense now?
____
¹ Ok, maybe the answer could be seen as too sarcastic. Sorry for that if you felt insulted by it.

Last edited by mpan (2016-09-13 06:09:28)

#7 2017-07-26 19:12:53

johnfocker

So did you guys ever found out how to change the IBus systray icon color?

I changed the default color in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.freedesktop.ibus.gschema.xml but no luck so far.

#8 2018-11-04 16:51:32

thnikk

Since a solution was never posted for changing the color and I'll probably search for this again at some point and end up back here, this was my solution. The color should change in real-time.

$ gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel xkb-icon-rgba "#FFFFFF"

If you want to check the value before or after, you can use:

$ gsettings get org.freedesktop.ibus.panel xkb-icon-rgba

Last edited by thnikk (2018-11-04 17:26:34)

#9 2018-11-04 23:56:48

circleface

thnikk, thank you for your contribution.  Please note that this thread is pretty old, and you should not necrobump threads in the future.

#10 2018-11-04 23:59:05

ewaller
Administrator

Using this opportunity to close the thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer