You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-28 00:28:38

spomeg

Computer Fails to Load Arch on Boot, Maybe Due to Encryption

I am attempting to create a system with an encrypted root using dm-crypt+LUKS. I have a boot partition, a swap partition, and a root partition which is encrypted with dm-crypt+LUKS as per the instructions on the ArchWiki. I am using GRUB as a boot loader, and I am using a msdos partition table. I have added the necessary hooks to the mkinitcpio file as per ArchWiki, although I am not sure I have configured /etc/default/grub correctly. When booting my device after ejecting the installation disk, all I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left of the screen. If it helps, here are the lines I altered in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet cryptdevice=/dev/sda3:cryptroot"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=UUID=<uuid of my swap partition>"

I am willing to post any other information needed to get my system up and running. I apologize if this is terse; I've been trying to get a working installation for three days.

P.S. I will be attempting to encrypt my swap partition after this is done, so if there's anything I should be careful of there please let me know.

#2 2017-07-28 13:59:11

silverbluep

Re: Computer Fails to Load Arch on Boot, Maybe Due to Encryption

Did you try adding the parameter root=/dev/mapper/XXX ?

If you are not even getting a grub menu, that might signal that there is something wrong with GRUB. Can you chroot and run grub-install again?

#3 2017-07-29 04:38:04

spomeg

I re-installed GRUB, and everything ended up working out great! Thank you for the advice.

#4 2017-07-29 04:51:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer