You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-05 12:01:40

Ynozzar

unreal-engine fails installing

Hi guys!

Newcomer here! Did install Arch last week, and I'm having a blast so far. I managed to solve all my problems by looking at the wiki mostly, and some searches on the forums, but today I came up with something that I'm not able to find a solution for. I also think I'm missing some knowledge on what some 'high level' instructions translate to, 'bash-wise'. To say it somehow.

So, on to the problem, I'm trying to install the unreal-engine package from the AUR. I've installed some others before smoothly, but this one (after having to set up an ssh to pull source from a private git), fails with the following output:

[robb@archnet unreal-engine]$ makepkg -s
==> Making package: unreal-engine 4.16.3-1 (Sat Aug  5 13:44:30 CEST 2017)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Updating UnrealEngine git repo...
Fetching origin
  -> Found UE4Editor.desktop
  -> Found ignore-return-value-error.patch
  -> Found LMStats.patch
  -> Found disable-pie.patch
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    UnrealEngine ... Skipped
    UE4Editor.desktop ... Passed
    ignore-return-value-error.patch ... Passed
    LMStats.patch ... Passed
    disable-pie.patch ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of UnrealEngine git repo...
Reset branch 'makepkg'
==> Starting prepare()...
patching file 
/home/robb/Downloads/unreal-engine/src/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Linux/LinuxToolChain.cs
Hunk #1 succeeded at 395 (offset 8 lines).
patching file 
/home/robb/Downloads/unreal-engine/src/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealLightmass/Private/LightmassCore/Misc/LMStats.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 197.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file 
/home/robb/Downloads/unreal-engine/src/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealLightmass/Private/LightmassCore/Misc/LMStats.h.rej
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
    Aborting...

Now, it seems it's failing to patch hunks at prepare()... which I honestly don't really know what means, but I'd guess it's starting to build the package from downloaded source? Any insight on this, or on how to get it to work would be nice.

So, before posting here I tried something else too. As proposed on the wiki:

For a smaller download, you can download the release as a tar.gz after logging into github.com, then use that file as the source in the PKGBUILD.

For that I downloaded the said tar.gz file from github/release, put it into the AUR package folder (same level as PKGBUILD file), and tried this:

[robb@archnet unreal-engine]$ makepkg -se
==> Making package: unreal-engine 4.16.3-1 (Sat Aug  5 13:45:55 CEST 2017)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

I tried the -e option as what I understood from the man page, it means don't use the source from git, but the local one instead. But as the log says it's clear I'm doing it terribly wrong. It states I should specify a target (I don't know how), and have a makefile. I've searched the downloaded tar.gz, but found none, so I'm not sure if I should create it, or it should be provided, or what. All in all, I fail to comprehend what 'download the release as tar.gz, then use it as the source in the PKGBUILD' means to do.

In case it's of any help, I'm using Openbox, Xterm and dhcpcd. I'm not sure what other relevant packages (if those 3 are at all) should I list, but my system is pretty empty.

Thanks a lot beforehand!

#2 2017-08-06 13:34:18

ooo

Re: unreal-engine fails installing

Can't tell what's going on with your first error. I'd suggest deleting the src/ directory and trying to rebuild (or use makepkg's '-C' option).

Ynozzar wrote:

I tried the -e option as what I understood from the man page, it means don't use the source from git, but the local one instead.

You misunderstood. 'makepkg -e' won't download and/or extract the package source files, but uses whatever was left in src/ from previous builds. If you've downloaded the source files previously, makepkg will always try to use them.

All in all, I fail to comprehend what 'download the release as tar.gz, then use it as the source in the PKGBUILD' means to do.

That means you need to edit the 'source=' in PKGBUILD file, to use the tar.gz file instead of the git url. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#source

Board footer