You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-25 09:24:10

YscO

[Arch base install]Launch X automatically at log on (Solved)

In the last 3 months I`m beginning to understand the basics of archlinux. At this moment my laptop runs a basic arch installation with xorg and xfce4. Still busy with the wireless tho, but their is enough documentation for that problem.

I've got the following question. When I press the power button, everything runs smooth, and I get the basic logon screen (I`m not using GDM/KDM).

When I logon with my user account (for this example D), I've got to enter "startxfce4" to launch my X client. Is it possible to launch account D automatically with 'startxfce4', and in such manner that account E remains in the terminal?

I`m from the Dutch and my english aint that well... so please forgive my bad grammar etc. It took me about 1 hour to create this post, so at least you guys good read/understand it wink

#2 2006-06-25 12:26:21

Lone_Wolf

Re: [Arch base install]Launch X automatically at log on (Solved)

you will need to put some extra lines in the users ~/.bashrc file in their home directory.

I use this :

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/vc/1 ]]; then
  startx
fi

Taken from here Start_X_at_boot

Te effect of the above lines is that when user C logs in on console 1 X is automatically started, & from other consoles just gets the console.
Other users are not affected.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-06-25 13:05:21

YscO

Re: [Arch base install]Launch X automatically at log on (Solved)

Thanks, now it works yikes

Board footer