You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 02:22:36

Hacksaurus_Babu
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 111

Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

I was wondering on how to be able to get the notifications whenever there is a system change (Volume, Brightness, Touchpad on or off, etc.)

Whenever I run budgie and I press my function keys I get messages in the middle of screen like so:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JZNM … -16-14.png
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2HgU … -17-17.png
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Nc76 … -16-45.png

I assumed that the script location would be in /usr/lib/gnome-settings-dameon/ and I concluded that the the script gsd-media-keys was the one that was either creating these notifications or changing these settings... (Or maybe even both) And I got to this conclusion by killing the gsd-media-keys script when I ran Budgie, and no longer did my function keys work.
So I attempted to run the session-manager (/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-binary --session=budgie-desktop) and the gsd-media-keys script (/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-media-keys) There was a warning saying that it could connect to a socket, but I don't think it as a serious error.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Hacksaurus_Babu (2017-08-07 02:22:53)

Offline

#2 2017-08-07 08:08:49

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

Offline

#3 2017-08-07 10:54:42

ooo
Member
Registered: 2013-04-10
Posts: 1,638

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

The notifications in Gnome (and budgie) are built in to the shell. There's no script that could be used with other desktops. The gsd-media-keys is simply monitoring your media keys. It has nothing to do with displaying the actual notification.

See the link provided by V1del for standalone alternatives.

Offline

#4 2017-08-08 04:54:12

Hacksaurus_Babu
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 111

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

Thank you for the suggestions, I think that I will stick with of having no notifications because it seems to be too difficult and complicated to have notifications on wm without sacrificing processing power and whatnot.

Thanks for you guys help!

Offline

#5 2017-08-08 05:36:27

HiImTye
Member
From: Halifax, NS, Canada
Registered: 2012-05-09
Posts: 1,072

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

it really isn't that complicated, for instance, I use Dunst (one of the options in that link that V1del shared). I just load it up, there's a minimal configuration that is optional, and it just displays what ever notification is sent to it. to add a notification to a script, you use notify-send, like with any other notification daemon. I'm almost positive that all of the other options in that list function the same way, or similarly. it really depends on what you expect to see displayed. Dunst displays text only, others display a compination of text and images. how complex or how CPU intensive you make it is up to you.

Last edited by HiImTye (2017-08-08 05:38:19)

Offline

#6 2017-08-08 05:38:54

Hacksaurus_Babu
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 111

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

The problem is that I am not very found with the Dunst interface, and doesn't make the notifications that I have in place (Nice and modern). Also I already have my bar which tells me the current status of my system, which is perfectly fine too.
Thank you for your suggestion though HilmTye!

Offline

#7 2017-08-08 05:40:48

HiImTye
Member
From: Halifax, NS, Canada
Registered: 2012-05-09
Posts: 1,072

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

previously, different components of GNOME were independently loadable, so it was possible to have a pseudo-GNOME/i3 setup. sadly, those days are long gone

Offline

#8 2017-08-08 05:43:57

Hacksaurus_Babu
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 111

Re: Have GNOME media keys script run on i3

Yes, I was hoping I was able to do such a thing... But it seems with the complexity of GNOME with its many different scripts and this interwebbing of them, it does not seem to be as possible now... (I mean I can still use polkit-gnome-authentication-agent as a separate module, thats all it matters now!)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB