You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-26 18:05:42

georgewhite
Website

Intel Compute Stick STK1A32SC/STK1AW32SC

I received a second generation Intel Compute Stick, the Intel Atom Z3735F based model with Windows 10 32-bit preinstalled, the STK1AW32SC.

Working (with a solution, workaround)

UEFI
Arch Linux boots fine under the 64-bit UEFI configuration set by 'Windows (64-bit)' for 'Operating System' in the UEFI interface. Without that change, Arch Linux does not boot as the UEFI system doesn't support a legacy BIOS boot, so you must use the x86-64 EFI loader. Thusly, once set, Windows will not boot without the change being reverted.

If the Arch Linux installation USB device is left in after the change to 32-bit, the system's fan spins up, and the blue light is on, but the Compute Stick sometimes will not boot. You must remove the USB drive and reboot the device.

Partially

Wi-Fi
The integrated Intel Wireless 7265 works straight away in the ISO. However, without reloading iwlwifi by:

# modprobe -r iwlmvm
# modprobe iwlwifi power_save=0 11n_disable=1

download speeds never go over ~10kB/s on both a 5GHz and 2.4Ghz network, and are often quickly interrupted. I get around ~40kB/s with these options, but this is not really usable. Could this be a driver bug? I have also attempted `11n_disable=8`.

What else can I try? Wireless is not usable to install Arch Linux, because regardless, the connection times out very often.

Broken

microSD
The internal eMMC of the Intel Compute Stick appears and the partition table is loaded correctly. /dev/block/mmc0 is the eMMC.

However, the microSD card does not get detected, no matter how or when the card is placed in the slot. The host is detected (mmc1). I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB, working fine under Windows 10 32-bit. This is a Linux MMC driver bug – this issue is seen in other distributions – yet this is unknown why this happens.

Both SD and eMMC use the Atom's built in SD controllers, and both are detected by the Linux kernel and are registered as seen in the output of dmesg. In Windows, the SD card controllers are shown as the PCI ID of the TPM in the SoC.

It seems the kernel must be recompiled with CONFIG_PINCTRL_CHERRYTRAIL=y for the SD card to function.

With the above, currently, no distribution of Linux is fully functional on this device.

Last edited by georgewhite (2016-12-28 03:38:48)

#2 2017-08-09 20:39:30

vileperson

Re: Intel Compute Stick STK1A32SC/STK1AW32SC

At the risk of getting flac for "necro-bumping", I'd like to point out that I just finished an install on the same model Compute Stick, using a Belkin F4u047 USB to Ethernet adapter.

I was using a j5Create 7-port USB 3.0 hub to give me enough USB ports  for keyboard, USB NIC, and Archlinux Live USB.

This NIC and USB hub combo worked, flawlessly in both the live USB environment and the "freshly installed" environment, making install and post install configuration a breeze.

I know this setup isn't ideal for end use, but it is great for prepping for end use.

The more I know...
The more I know that I don't know.

Board footer