You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 20:37:52

d_fajardo

Octopi - no animation and doesn't show up on KDE panel when active

I successfully installed octopi in my arch system desktop. I installed it because I have Manjaro in my laptop and I'm quite pleased with the way octopi functions there.

The octopi in my arch system functions properly. It does the upgrades and binds with pacman and yaourt. The difference however between that and the one in my Manjaro installation is it lacks the animation that Manjaro's has when active. Also it doesn't come out to the system tray (KDE) when active and remains hidden ('auto' in the system tray). I always have to check if it has changed color.

Is it possible to add this animation just like in Manjaro? Why doesn't it show up on the tray when active (which I think is a KDE issue)?

#2 2017-08-07 20:49:49

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Octopi - no animation and doesn't show up on KDE panel when active

If I were you I'd drop Octopi altogether, as it can perform partial upgrades that could break your system...

https://github.com/aarnt/octopi/issues/ … -142099266

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-08-08 10:36:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

Looking at the AUR packages, there's an explcit package for support of this: octopi-notifier-frameworks have you made sure to have that installed?

#4 2017-08-09 09:51:14

d_fajardo

Yes I've got that installed. The notifier actually works and sits hidden on my KDE system tray and changes color when updates are available. My question probably pertains more to KDE than octopi itself. Why doesn't the icon come out to the panel when there's an update, the same way my device notifier pops out to the panel when I insert a USB or CD? And how does Manjaro animate the icon?

In response to slithery, I thank you for the warning but what other alternative GUI for upgrade notification?  Can I configure KDE's built-in notifications to bind with pacman and yaourt?

#5 2017-08-09 10:45:34

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well to trigger "action" that would make it pop out is an issue of the notifier, or did you use KDE on Manjaro and it did work there? Does it not work correctly if you simply set its visibility to be always shown? Maybe you haven't seen a configuration option? Which notifier plugin did you use on Manjaro, can you try with that? I really don't think that any of these issues are from KDE

#6 2017-08-09 12:09:49

mrunion
Website

d_fajardo wrote:

... but what other alternative GUI for upgrade notification?

I believe plenty of people have written various scripts that notify when there are updates. But more to the point, don't trade doing system updates correctly for a GUI. And when Octopi does perform a partial upgrade, you won't get support here for that (search "partial upgrades are not supported"). How hard is it to run

sudo pacman -Syu

in a terminal once per day? If that is too difficult, Arch may not be the distro for you. (I'm not attacking you, but if you want a nice GUI for everything there are other distributions that cater to that.)

Last edited by mrunion (2017-08-09 12:11:12)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#7 2017-08-09 12:22:31

Slithery
Administrator

d_fajardo wrote:

... but what other alternative GUI for upgrade notification?

I used to use a conky script that displayed available updates...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1369825

Edit - Just took a look at my old configs, it was Xyne's paconky script.

Last edited by Slithery (2017-08-09 12:29:45)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#8 2017-08-09 20:46:37

d_fajardo

Thanks slithery I like that and I'll definitely have a look.

And just to answer mrunion, I know it's easy to just do a pacman -Syu. In fact I do it even with if I have octopi. I'm just trying to learn how to make things work. How did the guys in Manjaro did it? That really was my question. It could have been other things beside octopi. But you're right if there are issues with partial upgrades, then I have to let it go.

#9 2017-08-09 21:03:33

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Regarding partial upgrades, Manjaro appears to have updated pamac (following this discussion) to use a temporary database similar to checkupdates, so you might try if it suits your needs.

Last edited by Alad (2017-08-09 21:04:14)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#10 2017-08-09 21:49:07

eschwartz
Fellow

I was trying to see where in their git history that happened, because when I checked I didn't see any commit  indicating that.

Turns out it was fixed in this "version-bump" commit: https://github.com/manjaro/pamac/commit … de8e4c7291

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#11 2017-08-10 10:56:40

d_fajardo

Thanks everyone. I think I'll hold my fire with octopi until I've had a proper look at all the leads you've provided. I'm intrigued to try out slithery's suggestion as well.

#12 2017-08-10 14:03:57

cirrus
Website

id just like to advise you to also consider dropping yaourt in favour of cower or aurutils. “Why you should uninstall Yaourt and embrace makepkg…”  https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … ll_yaourt/

#13 2017-08-10 20:02:31

mrunion
Website

d_fajardo wrote:

And just to answer mrunion.....

Fair enough. I can understand that approach.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer