You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-10 23:53:57

Zeox101

[Solved] AUR Helpers & Build Directories

I have a question concerning how build directories are handled with AUR helpers such as pacaur/yaourt.

I was trying to download vmd using pacaur and received an error saying alongside the lines of "vmd-1.9.3.bin.LINUXAMD64-CUDA8-OptiX4-OSPRay111p1.opengl.tar.gz is not in the build directory or a URL". I understood I had to download that file myself and place it in the build directory, but I wasn't exactly sure where the build directory was when using pacaur.

I then tried downloading vmd using yaourt. I put the file in the aur-vmd directory thats created in /tmp/yaourt-tmp-zeox101. I assumed that to be the build directory when using yaourt since that's where the PKGBuild is, however I received the same error (And it also deleted the source file, I guess that everytime I call yaourt it remakes the aur-vmd directory in tmp which deleted the file?)

In the end I had to just download the snapshot, untarred it, put the source file in the vmd directory that was created when I untarred the snapshot, and ran makepkg -si.

So bottom line my question here is, if packages need a source file to be placed in the build directory like vmd does, are they unable to be installed using AUR helpers and have to be installed manually?

Last edited by Zeox101 (2017-08-11 00:21:42)

The Hidden Secret of Arch Linux Forums:
No.  No one here really uses archlinux.  Arch Sucks.
We're just a bunch of neckbeards who tinker with arch linux in our mom's basement during our free time ... which we have a lot of because we are unemployed. ~ Trilby

#2 2017-08-10 23:59:14

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] AUR Helpers & Build Directories

Sensible AUR helpers pause to let you inspect and edit the build files. That is when you copy the source file.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2017-08-11 00:02:30

Zeox101

You mean when they ask if you want to edit the PKGBuild? You can put the path to the source file in there somehow to let it know its there?

We're just a bunch of neckbeards who tinker with arch linux in our mom's basement during our free time ... which we have a lot of because we are unemployed. ~ Trilby

#4 2017-08-11 00:05:55

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Well, you can do that, but the path is already set for you. You just copy the file into the directory with the PKGBUILD.

#5 2017-08-11 00:13:36

Zeox101

Oh, ok I think I understand what you mean. You're saying that sensible AUR helpers download all the necessary files (like the PKGBuild), then take a pause before actually making/installing the package, and during this pause you put the source file in the directory with the PKGBuild. That might explain why I failed with Yaourt, I put the source file in the directory BEFORE running yaourt (It had already existed because I ran yaourt vmd before), so when I ran yaourt again it remade the build directory which removed the source file. So it would of worked if I had put it in there during the pause I suppose.

I guess my last question would be how would you figure out where the directory with the PKGBuild is? I only figured out where it is when using Yaourt through some google searches, but I couldn't find where it is when using pacaur.

Last edited by Zeox101 (2017-08-11 00:14:30)

#6 2017-08-11 00:15:42

fsckd
Forum Fellow

It should be in their man page or wherever their documentation is. Many allow you to change the location and will document the default location. I don't use pacaur so I can't tell you specifically where.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by fsckd (2017-08-11 00:16:48)

#7 2017-08-11 00:17:42

Zeox101

All right, that sounds reasonable.  Thanks for all the info!

-Marking as solved since I believe I got all the answers I needed.

#8 2017-08-11 21:15:09

eschwartz
Fellow

Note that if you use the SRCDEST variable in your makepkg.conf, you will have a persistent directory outside of yaourt where downloaded source files are kept. smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer