You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-14 16:37:11

andreioniscu

Trying to Dual-Boot with Windows

Hello guys, I had Arch Linux on my box for about a month, and then switched back to Windows 10 because of software compatibility issues. Now I want to do a dual boot between the two because I really liked Arch.
So, first I tried it with Legacy (BIOS) Windows (The one that shows the Windows Logo during boot instead of your Motherboard manufacturer's logo), but os-prober didn't find my Windows Install (Arch was also Installed as Legacy(Bios))
So, second attempt: I successfully converted my Windows Install to UEFI following a guide on the Internet. Now my Windows boots as UEFI, but I cannot generate the GRUB config ("Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning")
After hours and hours of searching the Internet about this "lmvetad" I figured out I should install Arch on LMV (as the error seems to have something to do with LMV, at least that's what i thought "LMV" being the first letters in "lmvetad"), but nope, same error.
So now I have an LMV install of Arch that is not bootable (I can access it from the USB Stick using chroot)
Does the error have something to do with LMV?
BTW, running os-prober gives me the same "Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning".
Thanks in advance!

#2 2017-08-15 16:28:54

Cyrusm

Re: Trying to Dual-Boot with Windows

Hereis a post with some directions that should get you past your error hopefully.

Last edited by Cyrusm (2017-08-15 16:29:47)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2017-08-15 19:39:29

Blasphemist

Did you reinstall Arch and Grub after changing the mode to UEFI and reinstalling windows? You at least need to remove Grub and re-install it and OS prober following the instructions for when using UEFI. I don't use LVM so I can't speak to that requiring special processes but if it does the wiki should address that. When launching the kernel from any partition other than the ESP grub does rely on it's own drivers. What mount point are you using for the ESP? If you used /boot/efi the kernel doesn't reside on the ESP. If you use /boot, the kernel is on the ESP.

Simple and Open

#4 2017-08-15 23:12:54

vuudochile
Website

I assumed wrong, if it existed on Artix that it came from Arch.
No wonder Manjaro's grub never worked right for anything but Manjaro.

I'm learning.

Last edited by vuudochile (2017-08-16 12:10:01)

#5 2017-08-15 23:29:46

Blasphemist

vuudochile wrote:

You need a bootable linux to chroot to your installed arch, right?
Copy the existing grub entry from the arch /boot/grub/grub.cfg into grub.cfg.backup
If you have a live-usb or better a full installed system to boot from do that.  If it has grub, good, if not install it.
If you can't chroot to arch
#grub-install /dev/sda (or what you have)
#update-grub
and watch the screen while it is updating to see if it found both.
Then you have something to boot arch from.
If the grub entry for your arch is not correct you may end up in kernel panic freeze during boot.
Copy the existing grub entry from the arch /boot/grub/grub.cfg backup into the active grub.cfg  (it will start with menuentry and have Arch on the next line till the bottom of the Arch submenus where it ends with a  "}"
Then reboot.

FYI, the Arch grub package doesn't include update-grub and therefor it's not usually installed on Arch. The grub-mkconfig is run without the script since it is the only command in the script. Do you think your answer will work in a UEFI environment? What is there in your instructions that solves the issue?

Simple and Open

Board footer