You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-16 09:05:07

lapsio

Any less "exclusive"/isolated cloud than owncloud for linux server?

Hello

I've been trying some web frontends for my NFS files server but i can't find anything that is a bit more advanced AND integrates well with linux storage and linux permissions:

- h5ai - I tried h5ai, actually I used it on few machines before, I like its simplicity and that it "just works". Also I don't need to worry about security because I can assume Apache Basic auth over https it well tested, reliable solution. It handles well lack of permissions to directories and is perfect as single user/uniform access policy solution, however it doesn't provide any user permissions management. It doesn't really integrate with Linux files permissions as well (just reads what it can as wwwrun user) and as h5ai officially guarantees to be secure only if whole h5ai directory is protected, i'd realistically need to provide separate copy of h5ai to each user in order to make it secure. Not really realistic option. And I guess there's no file upload option.

- owncloud - when I installed it I didn't really foresee all issues it faced and I thought it's a bit different kind of software: owncloud requires exclusive access to data directory (already deal breaker because I need web frontend for existing NFS share used by other machines as mountpoints so there's continuos data rotation) and it crashes when owncloud doesn't have read access to some files (also deal breaker - permissions are managed by UNIX permissions and POSIX ACLs. Shares also include sensitive information that should not be readable or even indexable by owncloud. It was wrong call

So I'm looking for some HTML5 web frontend preferably with multimedia support, to access conventional NFS files server with realistically manageable permissions system that "understands" linux files permissions. I think it's much closer to what h5ai provides than to owncloud but i don't really know other solutions so it's hard to tell. To give context: NFS share is 12TB RAID array, half full, in external storage server. Server for web frontend is VM with 10gb ssd, 2gb ram and 2 vcpus.

Last edited by lapsio (2017-08-16 09:11:28)

#2 2017-08-16 09:34:29

woodape

Re: Any less "exclusive"/isolated cloud than owncloud for linux server?

There's a bunch out there, I use the owncloud fork "Nextcloud", but I don't have your usecase. Syncthing could be what you're looking for?

#3 2017-08-16 11:09:48

lapsio

Re: Any less "exclusive"/isolated cloud than owncloud for linux server?

Okay I'll try that smile

I also found Pydio which seems to work pretty well with existing local files on server (no need to index etc). Unfortunately performance is on AWMAHGAWDKILLMEPLZ level...

Last edited by lapsio (2017-08-16 11:10:51)

Board footer