You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-15 22:28:56

spirosklouvas

Poor performance on PAYDAY 2

After recently moving fully from windows to arch, i am having performance issues with Payday 2. I used to be able to get around 80-90 fps on windows on the lighter maps and around 60 on heavier ones with medium-high settings. Even on the worst performance-optimized maps i would get around 40 fps, but it was consistently around 40 so it was still playable. Now with arch on my system with a nvidia gtx 650 Ti BOOST, a 2nd generation Intel i3 and 8 GBs of ram, I am getting at max 60 fps on the lightest maps, but also a lot of fps drops. On the heavier/bigger maps it is always below 40 dropping below 20 every few seconds. This is with the graphics settings almost as low as they get. While the game, as far as I have heard, is not really well performance optimized on windows, and I expected the linux port to be worse, I find it nearly imposible for me to play, mainly due to the frequent fps drops (i dont mind low graphics or low fps as long as they are consistent). I am using i3-gaps with compton and the nvidia proprietary drivers. I am wondering if there is anything in my configuration I can change to improve the performance or this is just the best the system can do with the game.

I will post my compton config as soon as I get back to my system.

#2 2017-08-16 08:09:53

brebs

Re: Poor performance on PAYDAY 2

Try *without* compton.

Also, in e.g. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-nvidia.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia Card"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Driver "nvidia"

# Remove the nvidia startup logo
    Option "NoLogo" "true"

# Adds a bit of latency, but also adds smoothness. May interfere with vsync, but is often a good compromise
    Option "TripleBuffer" "true"

# Frames to render - 0 for responsiveness, but 3 (default) for smoothness
    Option "RegistryDwords" "OGL_MaxFramesAllowed=0x0"
EndSection

Experiment with OGL_MaxFramesAllowed, between 0 and 3 - it's expressed in hexadecimal, which is why it begins with 0x.

#3 2017-08-16 08:20:55

spirosklouvas

I am still away from my system, I will try this as soon as I get back. (probably in a few hours)

I did try without compton...it seemed to be a bit better but not much.(the fps seemed generally a bit higher...and the drops a bit less frequent...but still not an enjoyable experience)

#4 2017-08-16 11:00:14

brebs

Having vsync *off* is best for framerate, but is intolerably ugly for some (resulting in "shearing" of the frames).

Last edited by brebs (2017-08-16 11:00:52)

#5 2017-08-16 13:30:30

spirosklouvas

This config helps a ton. I am currently experimenting with OGL_MaxFramesAllowed to see which feels best, but it is definately much more playable. The overall fps dont seem much higher, but the drops, although still present from time to time, are much rarer, making for a much more pleasant experience.

How would I go about turning vsync off?

#6 2017-08-16 14:07:04

spirosklouvas

note that this is with compton off, I have not tryed with it on.

Board footer