You are not logged in.
Hi all,
I have found a few threads with issues similar to mine, but no concrete solutions, and none that I've tried work for me.
So I'm trying to get Arch to work with XFCE + LightDM. XFCE works great by itself, no complaints there. This is a fresh install, so all packages should be up to date. To provide a login screen, I installed lightdm, lightdm-gtk-greeter, and light-locker. To autostart LightDM, I then ran
sudo systemctl enable lightdmNow, LightDM starts up and gets me to the login screen, but after I enter my password, it errors out saying "Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-XXXXXXXX" Then it gives another error: "Unable to get connection to the message bus session". It then shows XFCE logo and gives me a blank screen with nothing but mouse cursor. The only way out is to switch tty and kill lightdm.
I get the same exact issue if I manually start lightdm as root (sudo lightdm). However, everything works fine when I run
sudo systemctl start lightdmThis allows me to login just fine, and I can lock screen, suspend, logout, etc as normal. I just don't know why it works one way but not the other.
So it seems like lightdm itself functions just fine - it's just a matter of the right config or something. Maybe I missed a step when installing lightdm? I did follow the official guide...
The solutions I've tried so far included changing default.target to multi-user.target, making sure /etc/pam.d/systemd-user is present and has the right stuff, deleting /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/25-xlogin, checking contents of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. I just don't know what else to do to make it work at this point. I've seen suggestions to downgrade dbus and/or xfce, but I'll do that as a last resort if there's no other way around.
Please help :)
Last edited by avg.guy (2017-08-20 17:41:48)
Offline
Did some AUR package provide /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/25-xlogin ?
Please post the contents of /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
Offline
Did some AUR package provide /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/25-xlogin ?
I don't actually have that file, but some users reported having it and that once they removed it the login issue went away.
Please post the contents of /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
Oddly enough, it seems to work fine right now. I just repeated the same steps I tried before (enable service, symlink to default.target, etc) and rebooted, and it doen't give any more errors. I'll roll the system back to a snapshot later and try to reinstall lightdm and see if I get the same issue again.
Here's the output of lightdm.log:
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.22.0, UID=0 PID=246
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process “plymouth” (No such file or directory)
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Launching process 262: /usr/sbin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.02s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf
[+0.02s] DEBUG: User paul added
[+0.79s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 262
[+0.79s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Got signal from X server :0
[+0.79s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+2.01s] CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[+2.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+2.01s] DEBUG: Session pid=310: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
[+2.03s] DEBUG: Session pid=310: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+2.03s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session authenticated, running command
[+2.03s] DEBUG: Session pid=310: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+2.03s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm
[+2.03s] DEBUG: Session pid=310: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log
[+2.06s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+2.06s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session c1
[+2.06s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c1
[+2.07s] DEBUG: Session c1 is already active
[+2.49s] DEBUG: Greeter connected version=1.22.0 api=1 resettable=false
[+2.68s] DEBUG: Greeter start authentication for paul
[+2.68s] DEBUG: Session pid=351: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'paul'
[+2.69s] DEBUG: Session pid=351: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+2.69s] DEBUG: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+8.37s] DEBUG: Continue authentication
[+8.38s] DEBUG: Session pid=351: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+8.38s] DEBUG: Authenticate result for user paul: Success
[+8.38s] DEBUG: User paul authorized
[+8.38s] DEBUG: Greeter sets language en_US.utf8
[+8.39s] DEBUG: Greeter requests session xfce
[+8.39s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping greeter; display server will be re-used for user session
[+8.39s] DEBUG: Terminating login1 session c1
[+8.40s] DEBUG: Session pid=310: Sending SIGTERM
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Greeter closed communication channel
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Session pid=310: Exited with return value 0
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Greeter stopped, running session
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Registering session with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
[+8.42s] CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Session pid=351: Running command /etc/lightdm/Xsession startxfce4
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/paul
[+8.42s] DEBUG: Session pid=351: Logging to .xsession-errors
[+8.45s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+8.45s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session c2
[+8.45s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+8.45s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c2
[+8.45s] DEBUG: Session c2 is already active
[+39.24s] DEBUG: Session pid=351: Exited with return value 0
[+39.24s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+39.24s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server, no sessions require it
[+39.24s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 262
[+39.25s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Process 262 exited with return value 0
[+40.83s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+40.83s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Active display server stopped, starting greeter
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+40.83s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+40.83s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+40.83s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+40.83s] DEBUG: Launching process 545: /usr/sbin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+40.83s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+41.46s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 545
[+41.46s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Got signal from X server :0
[+41.46s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+41.52s] CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[+41.52s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+41.52s] DEBUG: Session pid=549: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
[+41.53s] DEBUG: Session pid=549: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+41.53s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session authenticated, running command
[+41.53s] DEBUG: Session pid=549: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+41.53s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm
[+41.53s] DEBUG: Session pid=549: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log
[+41.55s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+41.55s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session c3
[+41.56s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c3
[+41.56s] DEBUG: Session c3 is already active
[+41.62s] DEBUG: Greeter connected version=1.22.0 api=1 resettable=false
[+41.70s] DEBUG: Greeter start authentication for paul
[+41.70s] DEBUG: Session pid=585: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'paul'
[+41.70s] DEBUG: Session pid=585: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+41.70s] DEBUG: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+47.05s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+56.97s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c3
[+56.97s] DEBUG: Session c3 is already active
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Got signal 15 from process 1
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Caught Terminated signal, shutting down
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 545
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
[+61.76s] DEBUG: Terminating login1 session c3
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Session pid=549: Sending SIGTERM
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Session pid=585: Sending SIGTERM
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Session pid=585: Terminated with signal 15
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Session: Failed during authentication
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+61.77s] DEBUG: Greeter closed communication channel
[+61.78s] DEBUG: Session pid=549: Exited with return value 0
[+61.78s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+61.79s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Process 545 exited with return value 0
[+63.38s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+63.38s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopped
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+63.38s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 0Offline
I think the correct way to enable lightdm is to boot to the graphical target:
systemctl set-default graphical.target.or at the console: systemctl isolate graphical.target.
Note that the lightdm service must be enabled. systemd initialize system bus correctly when told to start the graphical target. I do not know the exact details; but unless you know what you do, I think it is wrong to start a display manager without stating the graphical target; which take care of everything correctly.
Offline
Just tried starting lightdm from multi-user.target without issue.
graphical.target requires multi-user.target rescue.service rescue.target display-manager.service
multi-user.target requires basic.target rescue.service rescue.target so the only difference is graphical.target requiring display-manager.service.
Also if lightdm.service requires something to start it should be listed in its service file as a Requires or After.
Offline
Ok, so I rolled back to an earlier image and reinstalled lightdm following the same steps. I did reproduce the "failed to connect" error when trying to start lightdm directly (sudo lightdm), but it works fine now via autostart.
For anyone having this issue, make sure that you have lightdm, lightdm-gtk-greeter, and light-locker installed (or substitute greeter and locker at your discretion). Make sure the config files are good (correct session/greeter values, etc), and ensure that lightdm service is enabled and systemctl default.target is correct. Hope this helps.
Marking as solved.
Offline