You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-20 07:45:50

msimpason
Member
Registered: 2017-08-19
Posts: 18

Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

Just a fresh installation of 52.2.1 :

http://imgur.com/kIhdiFi

Offline

#2 2017-08-20 09:34:14

ayekat
Member
Registered: 2011-01-17
Posts: 1,634

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

Please post the output of thunderbird on the console.

Also, have you got full Internet access (not sitting behind some kind of firewall that blocks outgoing ports)?
Is your DNS working correctly (not some ISP-specific weird name resolution)?


pkgs │ hacks │ cfg │ blag

Offline

#3 2017-08-20 12:46:34

msimpason
Member
Registered: 2017-08-19
Posts: 18

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

ayekat wrote:

Please post the output of thunderbird on the console.

Like this?
http://imgur.com/Rq84d7A

ayekat wrote:

Also, have you got full Internet access (not sitting behind some kind of firewall that blocks outgoing ports)?
Is your DNS working correctly (not some ISP-specific weird name resolution)?

Yeah (I think), It works perfectly on Windows (dual boot)
I use my router's IP for DNS server

Offline

#4 2017-08-20 13:09:35

ayekat
Member
Registered: 2011-01-17
Posts: 1,634

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

It's odd that it remains stuck there. My output is this for a valid domain and this for an invalid domain.

From what can be seen, Thunderbird queries the following URLs for information about the mail host (foobar.org in this example):

http://autoconfig.foobar.org/mail/config-v1.1.xml
https://live.mozillamessaging.com/autoconfig/v1.1/foobar.org
https://live.mozillamessaging.com/autoconfig/v1.1/netability.ie

Do other network/Internet-related programs (e.g. web browsers, chat clients, ...) work correctly? Have you tried querying those addresses yourself (e.g. with curl or wget or a web browser)? Have you installed any security-related utilities like AppArmor, SELinux, ... that might interfere with Thunderbird only?

Otherwise, have you tried temporarily moving your ~/.mozilla and ~/.thunderbird directories elsewhere (to start with a clean Thunderbird configuration) to eliminate the possibility of a Thunderbird-specific network configuration?

Also, please don't paste pictures of text, paste the text directly, either by using code tags or through a pastebin service.

EDIT
Also, have you tried with other e-mail addresses? It may be nice to know your e-mail address domain at least, so we could check if it's a domain-specific issue.

Last edited by ayekat (2017-08-20 13:11:36)


pkgs │ hacks │ cfg │ blag

Offline

#5 2017-08-20 13:39:52

msimpason
Member
Registered: 2017-08-19
Posts: 18

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

ayekat wrote:

Do other network/Internet-related programs (e.g. web browsers, chat clients, ...) work correctly? Have you tried querying those addresses yourself (e.g. with curl or wget or a web browser)? Have you installed any security-related utilities like AppArmor, SELinux, ... that might interfere with Thunderbird only?

Yes, I can connect to and use my email accounts through the browser. I haven't installed any security utilities.

ayekat wrote:

Otherwise, have you tried temporarily moving your ~/.mozilla and ~/.thunderbird directories elsewhere (to start with a clean Thunderbird configuration) to eliminate the possibility of a Thunderbird-specific network configuration?

Did it now, nothing changed.

ayekat wrote:

Also, please don't paste pictures of text, paste the text directly, either by using code tags or through a pastebin service.

Sorry, will do.

ayekat wrote:

EDIT
Also, have you tried with other e-mail addresses? It may be nice to know your e-mail address domain at least, so we could check if it's a domain-specific issue.

gmail, hotmail, outlook

Offline

#6 2017-08-20 13:57:37

ayekat
Member
Registered: 2011-01-17
Posts: 1,634

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

msimpason wrote:
ayekat wrote:

Have you tried querying those addresses yourself (e.g. with curl or wget or a web browser)?

Yes, I can connect to and use my email accounts through the browser.

No, I meant: can you access the specific URLs I gave before (not the mail provider's web-mail interface)?
For gmail.com, I get this:

$ curl http://autoconfig.gmail.com/mail/config-v1.1.xml
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: autoconfig.gmail.com
$ curl https://live.mozillamessaging.com/autoconfig/v1.1/gmail.com
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>
<p>The document has moved <a href="https://autoconfig.thunderbird.net/v1.1/gmail.com">here</a>.</p>
</body></html>
$ curl https://autoconfig.thunderbird.net/v1.1/gmail.com
<clientConfig version="1.1">
  <emailProvider id="googlemail.com">
    ...

I'd assume that Thunderbird would use this information.

Otherwise, are you using some other version of Thunderbird than the one from [extra]? What's the output of these commands?

ls -l $(which thunderbird)
pacman -Qo $(which thunderbird)
pacman -Qm

pkgs │ hacks │ cfg │ blag

Offline

#7 2017-08-20 15:44:35

msimpason
Member
Registered: 2017-08-19
Posts: 18

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

ayekat wrote:
msimpason wrote:
ayekat wrote:

Have you tried querying those addresses yourself (e.g. with curl or wget or a web browser)?

Yes, I can connect to and use my email accounts through the browser.

No, I meant: can you access the specific URLs I gave before (not the mail provider's web-mail interface)?
For gmail.com, I get this:

$ curl http://autoconfig.gmail.com/mail/config-v1.1.xml
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: autoconfig.gmail.com
$ curl https://live.mozillamessaging.com/autoconfig/v1.1/gmail.com
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>
<p>The document has moved <a href="https://autoconfig.thunderbird.net/v1.1/gmail.com">here</a>.</p>
</body></html>
$ curl https://autoconfig.thunderbird.net/v1.1/gmail.com
<clientConfig version="1.1">
  <emailProvider id="googlemail.com">
    ...

I'd assume that Thunderbird would use this information.

I get the exact same for Gmail.

ayekat wrote:

Otherwise, are you using some other version of Thunderbird than the one from [extra]? What's the output of these commands?

ls -l $(which thunderbird)
pacman -Qo $(which thunderbird)
pacman -Qm
[me@archlinux ~]$ ls -l $(which thunderbird)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 53 Jun 24 05:56 /usr/bin/thunderbird
[me@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qo $(which thunderbird)
/usr/bin/thunderbird is owned by thunderbird 52.2.1-1
[me@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qm
google-chrome 60.0.3112.101-1

Offline

#8 2017-08-20 20:13:50

ayekat
Member
Registered: 2011-01-17
Posts: 1,634

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

Unfortunately, I'm a little out of ideas.

How exactly does it "hang"? Do you need to Ctrl-C it, or does it properly stop when you hit "cancel"? If it hangs entirely, you could try launching it with strace to see if it gets stuck in a system call.
Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to let you wait for someone else to come along with another approach.


pkgs │ hacks │ cfg │ blag

Offline

#9 2017-08-20 21:11:39

msimpason
Member
Registered: 2017-08-19
Posts: 18

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

ayekat wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm a little out of ideas.

How exactly does it "hang"? Do you need to Ctrl-C it, or does it properly stop when you hit "cancel"? If it hangs entirely, you could try launching it with strace to see if it gets stuck in a system call.
Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to let you wait for someone else to come along with another approach.

http://imgur.com/kIhdiFi

It just keeps showing this state. The blue circle keeps spinning for all eternity, and the program does respond to cancel / stop .
Launching with strace just rapidly sprays the terminal with function calls, it doesn't get stuck there.

And thank you btw smile

EDIT
There's also this:

(thunderbird:882): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_set_with_data: assertion 'targets != NULL' failed

Last edited by msimpason (2017-08-21 10:05:49)

Offline

#10 2017-08-23 10:19:32

ayekat
Member
Registered: 2011-01-17
Posts: 1,634

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

I'm not getting that gtk error, but I'm not sure if that's really related (but who knows)

Last suggestion: Does it work if you select "I think I'll configure my account later" in the first dialog, and then add a new account manually through the "regular" Thunderbird account settings?


pkgs │ hacks │ cfg │ blag

Offline

#11 2017-08-23 21:33:23

msimpason
Member
Registered: 2017-08-19
Posts: 18

Re: Thunderbird hangs at 'Looking up configuration: Email provider'

ayekat wrote:

I'm not getting that gtk error, but I'm not sure if that's really related (but who knows)

Last suggestion: Does it work if you select "I think I'll configure my account later" in the first dialog, and then add a new account manually through the "regular" Thunderbird account settings?

Already tried that :\

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB