You are not logged in.
Hi all.
Currently I'm using the Gnome Desktop Environment on Wayland. I notice that animations are somewhat smooth as soon as I login, but deteriorates in fps as soon as I open one or two applications such as nautilus or settings etc etc. There seems to be reports all over the internet about bad frame rates of gnome animations.
I've tried to disable vsync. Its somewhat (although negligibly) better. Are there any other things I could do? I've already uninstalled xf86-video-intel and xf86-video-vesa drivers because the arch wiki says theyre not recommended/needed. How do I get those nice 60fps animations?
I KNOW for a fact that it can be done because even my crappy desktop computer which didnt have good integrated graphics would render animations at high fps when using mate+compiz. There's no reason why my relatively new cpu with HD graphics cant render simple animations. I have pretty much bare-bones arch linux setup. Could this be a inherent problem of Gnome that cannot be fixed?
I have a thinkpad x250 with integrated graphics:
Graphics: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500
CPU model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
Thanks in advance for all the help!
Offline
It's a long-standing gnome issue. Hopefully the Ubuntu team will take the time to fix it.
Offline
I highly doubt that, since the giant redhat had been participating in gnome development for quite sometime now. But yeah, I hope canonical persues active development of gnome.
From what I've read, the low fps animations are caused by two things:
1.) GPU not ramping up power/frequency on time when animations are rendered
2.) Too many processes on gnome including animations being loaded onto one CPU thread. The resultant queing and overloading results in dropped frames.
I have absolutely no coding knowledge, but I would like to believe that this should be not too difficult to fix, unless it is deep-rooted into gnome. If it is the case that it is easy to fix then it sheds bad light on the lax approach the gnome developers are supporting. The fact that this issue hasn't been fixed for half a decade is totally ridiculous. If the gnome team is expecting everyone to use a top of the line i7 processor with the top of the line GPU then I wonder if they even care about average users. Hilariously, even then smooth animations aren't guaranteed (as reported by MANY users on the relevant buglists and forums).
Offline