You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-21 20:43:59

Maclu

pacman -Syu error: Failed to commit transaction (Conflicting Files)

Now I do note this is a common error, and something that, from where I've looked, seems rather trivial, but either way here I am saying "Hello, just started using Arch last week and I got an issue"

I ran an upgrade today, and it failed to commit the transaction.

The two files in question are owned by Deepin-tool-kit 0.3.3-1:

dtkwidget: /usr/lib/libdtkwidget.so
/usr/lib/libdtkwidget.so is owned by deepin-tool-kit 0.3.3-1
dtkwidget: /usr/lib/pkgconfig/dtkwidget.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/dtkwidget.pc is owned by deepin-tool-kit 0.3.3-1

I followed the general troubleshooting steps from the pacman wiki page, the files seem to be fine to me, the ones under:

/var/lib/pacman/local/deepin-tool-kit-0.3.3-1

That same troubleshooting method mentioned if the file is owned by another program then file a bug report, since I am as newbie as it can get I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone by introducing myself here and seeing what you guys think.

As noted by the files, I am using the Deepin GUI environment.

#2 2017-08-21 20:58:14

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: pacman -Syu error: Failed to commit transaction (Conflicting Files)

Looks like deepin-tool-kit was split upstream into 2 or 3 packages. One of them should probably provide and replace deepin-tool-kit. A bug report would definitely make sense.

#3 2017-08-21 21:07:58

ooo

I think deepin-tool-kit was renamed to dtkwidget, since I can't find the former on repos, and latter was just added a few days ago. If that's the case, the package maintainer should've used 'replaces=' option in the PKGBUILD to prevent the error you got.

Nevertheless, in case of renamed packages, it should be safe to use 'pacman -S --force <package>' to update that single package.

EDIT. Scimmia beat me to it. Forcing the update as instructed in wiki should still be fine though.

EDIT. Ok, forcing is not fine..

Last edited by ooo (2017-08-21 21:12:28)

#4 2017-08-21 21:10:30

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Nevertheless, in case of renamed packages, it should be safe to use 'pacman -S --force <package>' to update that single package.

No, don't do that. You'll have two packages that provide the same file.

Mod note: Moving to Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer