You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-02 10:46:45

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

[Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

This is maybe a Gnome bug, but the most needed Unicode shortcut Ctrl+Shift+u201E in Czech language stopped working. Other Ctrl+Shift+u**code** shortcuts are working well, but this stopped working at all. How can I fix it? Or how can I fill in a bug? What part of my Arch + Gnome is responsible for these keyboard shortcuts? Please help! This character is really important in my work...

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-11 15:54:40)

Offline

#2 2017-09-02 20:36:44

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Client side feature.
Gnome on wayland, Xorg or are both affected?

It seems a bit weird that the feature in general works, but a single glyph isn't created - what happens instead and which applications in particular did you try?

Offline

#3 2017-09-02 23:50:39

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

When I press "E" at the end, everything deletes and just "u" remains, the glyph is not inserted. I tried Opera, Gedit and LibreOffice so far, but it looks like a global problem. I don't know, I installed xorg at the beginning, but I think there was some background change/update/upgrade to wayland in rollout, because loginctl says I'm using wayland. The whole bug is weird, it almost seems like some shortcut conflict, but the thing with this one broken and everything else correct is really weird also.

Offline

#4 2017-09-03 05:45:12

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

What about "Ctrl+Shift+u202E" or "Ctrl+Shift+u101E"?
Also select "gnome on xorg" as session an try the behavior there.

Offline

#5 2017-09-03 11:20:56

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

u202E and u101E do not work either. And Ctrl+Shift+E does some weird stuff. It produces similar output like Ctrl+Shift+U, but doesn't insert any character. I'll try Xorg on gdm and we'll see

Offline

#6 2017-09-03 11:25:50

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Gnome on Xorg have got the same bug for me

Offline

#7 2017-09-03 11:43:09

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Seems like some shortcut assigned to ctrl+shift+e, maye some input method?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ds_in_Xorg

Does it happen as well when starting opera from a plain xterm session (eg. using startx)?

Offline

#8 2017-09-03 16:42:15

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

seth wrote:

Does it happen as well when starting opera from a plain xterm session (eg. using startx)?

Uhh, I was not able to run opera or gedit from xterm session (gpu error, unknown error), but I was able to run nano editor. But any of Ctrl+Shift+uXXXX shortcuts weren't working there (under gnome-terminal these shortcuts work in nano as well).

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-03 16:43:08)

Offline

#9 2017-09-03 16:49:23

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

seth wrote:

Seems like some shortcut assigned to ctrl+shift+e, maye some input method?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ds_in_Xorg

I've never installed any alternative input method, just clean Arch base, base-devel, Xorg, Gnome (which added Wayland I suppose), therefore I think this can be possibly caused by some basic Gnome-dependency input method?

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-03 16:49:51)

Offline

#10 2017-09-03 18:11:47

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

aleskva wrote:

I was not able to run opera or gedit from xterm session (gpu error, unknown error)

Err... what?
Please provide actual error messages.

This unicode input is a feature of gtk, so it's not much of a surprise that it doesn't work in xterm (regardless of which process runs within)

Offline

#11 2017-09-03 18:21:13

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

seth wrote:
aleskva wrote:

I was not able to run opera or gedit from xterm session (gpu error, unknown error)

Err... what?
Please provide actual error messages.

For gedit no error message is given, but nothing is started under xterm session either (but this is gedit, Gnome edit, no surprise for me)
For Opera:

[0903/201634.037978:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(103)] Failed to launch GPU process.

Offline

#12 2017-09-03 18:23:27

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

What's the output of "loginctl session-status" and "glxinfo | head -n100" in that xterm session?

Offline

#13 2017-09-03 18:52:28

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

loginctl:

c7 - username (1000)
	   Since: Sun 2017-09-03 20:39:42 CEST; 33s ago
	  Leader: 2586 (login)
	    Seat: seat0; vc3
	     TTY: tty3
	 Service: login; type tty; class user
	   State: active
	    Unit: session-c7.scope
		  ├─2586 login -- username
		  ├─2668 -bash
		  ├─2673 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startx
		  ├─2695 xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc :1 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.yuGUmM1Uqg
		  ├─2696 /usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg -nolisten tcp :1 vt3 -auth /tmp/serverauth.yuGUmM1Uqg
		  ├─2698 xf86-video-intel-backlight-helper intel_backlight
		  ├─2702 xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
		  ├─2706 twm
		  ├─2707 xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1
		  ├─2708 xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51
		  ├─2709 xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0
		  ├─2712 bash
		  ├─2713 bash
		  ├─2715 bash
		  └─2719 loginctl session-status

zář 03 20:39:42 machinename systemd[1]: Started Session c7 of user username.
zář 03 20:39:42 machinename login[2586]: LOGIN ON tty3 BY username

glxinfo:

name of display: :1
display: :1  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, 
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_multisample, 
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, 
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, 
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_libglvnd, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, 
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_INTEL_swap_event, 
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, 
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, 
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, 
    GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, 
    GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, 
    GLX_EXT_buffer_age, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, 
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, 
    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 
    GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
    GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
    GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, 
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, 
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync
GLX version: 1.4
GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, 
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, 
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_buffer_age, 
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, 
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, 
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, 
    GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
    GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
    GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, 
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, 
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
    Device: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset  (0x2a42)
    Version: 17.1.7
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 1536MB
    Unified memory: yes
    Preferred profile: compat (0x2)
    Max core profile version: 0.0
    Max compat profile version: 2.1
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset 
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.1.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, 
    GL_AMD_shader_trinary_minmax, GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3, 
    GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5, GL_APPLE_object_purgeable, 
    GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, 
    GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays, GL_ARB_buffer_storage, 
    GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object, GL_ARB_clear_texture, GL_ARB_clip_control, 
    GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage, 
    GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_copy_image, GL_ARB_debug_output, 
    GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_depth_texture, 
    GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, 
    GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, 
    GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, 
    GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, 
    GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, 
    GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_get_program_binary, 
    GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, 
    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, 
    GL_ARB_internalformat_query, GL_ARB_internalformat_query2, 
    GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata, GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment, 
    GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multi_bind, GL_ARB_multisample, 
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, 
    GL_ARB_pipeline_statistics_query, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, 
    GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, 
    GL_ARB_program_interface_query, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, 
    GL_ARB_robustness, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, 
    GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects, 
    GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters, 
    GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, 
    GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_shading_language_packing, 
    GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_texture_barrier, 
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression, 
    GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, 
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, 
    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, 
    GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge, 
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, 
    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui, 
    GL_ARB_texture_storage, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, 

Notice: under Gnome (gnome-terminal) Opera gives me the same error before startup

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-03 19:02:40)

Offline

#14 2017-09-03 20:07:24

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Looks good.
Does the process immediately exit when you call "gedit" or does it just not show a window (and then you ctrl+c interrupt it)?
(twm is a bit special - you should get a frame that you need to position and then left-click to actually show the window)

Offline

#15 2017-09-03 23:17:22

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

seth wrote:

Does the process immediately exit when you call "gedit" or does it just not show a window (and then you ctrl+c interrupt it)?

gedit just don't show, Opera exits after error

This should be wothout any problem, I'll never use Opera or gedit under startx, and startx just only for testing/emergency purposes at most (like everybody these times I think, like emergency startup on Windows big_smile)

Just the Unicode shortcut is still broken for me

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-03 23:22:07)

Offline

#16 2017-09-04 05:55:12

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

*shrug* - try an icewm or openbox session or so.
At least opera should certainly not rely on any environment and gedit can probably expected to run w/o gnome around as well...

Google says ctrl+shift+e belongs to ibus and is for inserting <a lot of swearing here> emojis.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ … oji_Typing

Offline

#17 2017-09-07 13:09:09

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Offline

#18 2017-09-09 14:32:46

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

IBus contributor closed my bug report as declined/invalid, but I don't know why or what happens there hmm

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-09 14:33:07)

Offline

#19 2017-09-09 15:08:20

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Do you need ibus?

pacman -Rs ibus

PS: I don't think the fellow is too fluent in english - you'll have to stress that the ibus shortcut breaks the gtk feature (for every codepoint containing an "E")

Offline

#20 2017-09-09 16:31:27

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

I have got libibus, which is needed by Gnome, but not ibus.

I'm not good at english.

I see, he is saying Ctrl+Shift+e is IBus function and Ctrl+Shift+u is not since that version (1.5.15) and therefore this is not their issue, am I right?

Offline

#21 2017-09-09 16:53:31

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Gnome actually seems to ship ibus by default.
You may try

gsettings set  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides  "{'Gtk/IMModule':''}"

(no warrants, this might kill kittens or break your input)

I think he doesn't even understand that this ibus feature breaks the general unicode input in gtk but believes you've problems to use this feature (as if any sane human being ever *wanted* in enter emojis)
Make clear that your desire is to simply disable this shortcut because you're not a 13 year old girl.

Offline

#22 2017-09-11 13:05:49

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

The discussion still goes to nowhere. I don't want to kill kittens (:D). I've got another possible way to fix this by turning off any special IBus features on SuperUser:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-im-module gtk-im-context-simple

But I want somebody who caused it to fix it. I'm sick of fixing things I haven't caused and this is the reason why I switched from Windows to Linux and from Ubuntu to Arch, with which I was completely satisfied until this issue (possibly not Arch's fault).

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-11 14:22:37)

Offline

#23 2017-09-11 15:53:21

aleskva
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 69

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

Finally a gtk bug, see https://github.com/ibus/ibus/issues/194 … -328571985 (ibus x gtk comparison) and will be fixed in a next release

Last edited by aleskva (2017-09-11 15:54:59)

Offline

#24 2017-09-12 05:18:14

NoSuck
Member
Registered: 2015-03-04
Posts: 157
Website

Re: [Solved] Gnome - Unicode shortcut for „ stopped working

I ran into this issue as well, though as a menu shortcut in other programs, as I do not use Gnome.  You can disable the shortcut altogether by installing ibus and running ibus-setup.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB