You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-25 15:18:24

Loke

ndiswrapper-beyond package

It seems that in the huge upgrade, there was an update for ndiswrapper-beyond, however this driver seems to be compiled with the new gcc and the beyond kernel is still compiled with the "old", which means that i can't modprobe it:
ndiswrapper: version magic '2.6.16-beyond SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.1' should be '2.6.16-beyond SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.0'.
Anyone might have the old package or something?
This kinda annoys me because I am experiencing crash with cedega and other issues with 2.6.17, so I just want to use the beyond.
I have thought about recompiling the beyond package myself with new gcc, but I got some make error + md5sum mismatch.

Thank you in advance.

#2 2006-06-25 15:34:09

adderd

Re: ndiswrapper-beyond package

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing... It sort of makes me angry because you'd think that the purpose of a 'testing' branch was so that things like this don't happen. sad I can't believe that NOBODY thought to check a popular package like ndiswrapper before they let it out of testing. NDisWrapper doesn't even work for me in the stock kernel anymore. Now that faults the kernel when I try to use DHCP.

The beyond kernel is flagged out of date so hopefully soon someone will recompile it w/ GCC 4.1 and update the package.

#3 2006-06-25 16:13:10

Loke

Yeah, I really hope this will be fixed ASAP.

#4 2006-06-25 17:18:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Or what? You'll complain to the management?

Seriously, guys, let's keep this in perspective. If the new package isn't working, downgrade to the old one - it should still be in your cache, or if not, someone else may be able to send it to you.

And to avoid getting annoyed and angry after the next round of testing, you might consider participating. Anyone can be a tester, and feedback is always welcome.

#5 2006-06-25 17:33:18

stonecrest

tomk wrote:

And to avoid getting annoyed and angry after the next round of testing, you might consider participating. Anyone can be a tester, and feedback is always welcome.

Exactly. Presumably no one complained while these packages were in testing, and that's why it went into current as it did. Merely having a testing repo is not sufficient to weed out problems, there need to be testers too.

I am a gated community.

#6 2006-06-25 17:37:00

Loke

Hey! I did not say anything about complaining, being unsatified with your work or something else. This was a simple request and wish for the older package, because the issues I have gets me frustrated.

I am not trying to criticize anything, which you seem to have misunderstood.
And of course I wouldn't have started this thread if I had the package in cache and have asked people for it.

Please try understand what I am trying to say.
Thanks.

#7 2006-06-25 17:40:51

adderd

Thats all well and good... Unfortunately I cleared the package cache after upgrading (I know I should have at least waited until I knew that everything worked but well... whoops...)

Still, I expect that the testing repository is for... surpise... testing! NDisWrapper blowing chunks shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who actually bothered to test it. It's fairly apparent that somebody compiled ndis and never bothered to see if it worked or not. I'm sure it was an honest mistake or oversight but it's still annoying. Things should NOT be let out of testing if nobody has in fact tested them. That's just common sense.

All in all, I'll chaulk it up to a mistake on my part. I should have kept the old package of ndis around in case I had to downgrade. It's happened to me before because ndiswrapper seems very, very fragile for me and I've had troubles before.

#8 2006-06-25 20:16:56

adderd

stonecrest wrote:

Exactly. Presumably no one complained while these packages were in testing, and that's why it went into current as it did. Merely having a testing repo is not sufficient to weed out problems, there need to be testers too.

That is a bad thing to do. Letting things out of testing just because no one has complained? Wouldn't it be better to also double check whether anyone has actually tried it? It's obvious that no one tried ndiswrapper before it was released.

As a side note, I recompiled the beyond kernel and all of it's modules. NDisWrapper now faults the kernel in both the stock kernel and beyond kernel. I'm going to assume that it's a problem w/ my machine and the windows driver that I'm using. My old version of NDIS worked.

#9 2006-06-25 20:26:59

ralvez
Website

I have "ndiswrapper-beyond-1.17-1" if that helps e-mail me off the list and I'll send it to you.

Rick

#10 2006-06-25 21:19:09

Loke

ralvez wrote:

I have "ndiswrapper-beyond-1.17-1" if that helps e-mail me off the list and I'll send it to you.

Rick

Thank you, but unfortunately it's not it  smile
[06/24/06 15:33] upgraded ndiswrapper-beyond (1.16-1 -> 1.17-1)

#11 2006-06-26 01:04:35

iphitus
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

I wish they would, so far nobody has filed a bug. So you can bitch and whine as much as you'd like here, but unless management gets told, nothing will happen.

James

#12 2006-06-26 01:23:37

adderd

Ok, the bitching has officially been turned into a real, honest to goodness bug .

iphitus wrote:
tomk wrote:

I wish they would, so far nobody has filed a bug. So you can bitch and whine as much as you'd like here, but unless management gets told, nothing will happen.

James

#13 2006-06-26 17:11:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I want to turn to finger pointing. i blame iphitus!

#14 2006-06-27 08:52:11

iphitus
Forum Fellow

whatcha gonna do?

I point my finger at gerolde.

new beyond is up now.

James.

Board footer