You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-15 21:10:32

onslow77

[SOLVED] Fix broken DRM playback after a kernel upgrade

Hello!

Today I upgraded the kernel and lost the ability to play DRM content in Firefox, for example from HBO and Google play. Here is a solution that worked for me in case it happens to anyone else: 

1. Close Firefox
2. rm -rf ~/.adobe/Flash_Player/{NativeCache,AssetCache,APSPrivateData2} // Remove old cache files
3. Uninstal, rebuild and install "hal-flash" again
4. Open Firefox
5. Open Adobes demo site for DRM content
6. Enter the folowing url: http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/Content/anonymous.f4v
7. Click play
8. Close the adobe demo site
9. Refresh any site that contained DRM contents
10. You are now able to play DRM content in Firefox again

I give no guarantees that the above will work for you, but it did for me when I no longer could play any DRM contant after a kernel upgrade.

Update: Actually, only step 5 - 6 is necessary to make DRM content work again. That has atleast worked for the past three times DRM content stoped working, either from kernel upgrade or packages that has anyhing to do with playback, example flashplugin and firefox.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-10-30 11:14:16)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#2 2016-10-09 05:09:56

jeremija

Re: [SOLVED] Fix broken DRM playback after a kernel upgrade

Thanks for this post - Which flash player version are you using?

When I try the flashplugin from official repo, the adobe test works, but HBO GO's player complains that the flash version is too old.
When I try flashplugin-beta from AUR, it doesn't work, and also when I try freshplayerplugin with pepper-flash from AUR, it also doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by jeremija (2016-10-09 05:19:35)

#3 2016-10-09 09:04:13

onslow77

Hello jeremija!

I have the flashplugin from the offical repo. The one right for you, see the browser plugin wiki here!

In order to play Flash DRM content, HBO GO for example, you need to follow Flash DRM Wiki and install either hal or hal-flash that I have, see step 3 in my previous post.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-10-09 17:22:10)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#4 2016-10-09 22:20:20

jeremija

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the clarification, but I think already done all that:

I have hal-flash and udisks2 installed, udisks2 service is started, and I clear my ~/.flash and ~/.macromedia folders when I switch Flash versions. I'm using Firefox, which I restart when I install a flash plugin, and I use the `about:plugins` page to confirm the correct plugin is loaded .

When I install flashplugin from the official repos Adobe's DRM test works, but I cannot play a video on HBO Go because I get a message saying the flash player is too old and that I should upgrade.

I tried with installing aur/flashplugin-beta, as well as aur/freshplayerplugin alongside pepper-flash, but with both of these I cannot get the Adobe's DRM test to work, and the videos do not load on HBO Go.

So I'm not sure if I missed a step, or HBO Go has just started to complain about the older versions of Flash and there's no way to make it work with a newer version.

I know this has worked before on another computer of mine, I'll have to check and see if it still works...

Last edited by jeremija (2016-10-09 22:23:05)

#5 2016-10-24 06:15:12

Human_Action

Can anyone actually get HBO working besides onslow?  I have HBONow, and have tried virtually every way possible from the wikis and here.  If even made a fresh install to see if I could get...and nada.

And just to be sure, onslow, you literally have HBOGo or HBONow working? Or are you saying that you that you got 'DRM content in Firefox' working, and examples of 'DRM content' providers are HBO and Google play?

#6 2017-09-03 17:00:33

Kilzool

Not working for me, I tried these steps. NO GO..  This really isn't solved.

#7 2017-09-03 17:31:32

Scorpick

Firefox doesn't work for me with widevine plugin even with changed user-agent string.
It keeps displaying I don't have Silverlight installed.

I personally use chromium with widevine from AUR. This has been working for months.

#8 2017-09-03 18:17:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please don't necrobump threads, if you have an issue make a new thread with up to date information on what you are attempting to do and on which websites. Apparently this issue has been solved for the problem that was present at that time, it might as well be different for you now, depending on current circumstances.

This thread is a prime example for why we don't allow necrobumping. It's almost guaranteed that the landscape surrounding this issue has changed in the meantime, you can't really asses anything by a blanket statement like "this shouldn't have been marked solved".

@Kilzool You have been warned about necrobumping in the past, do not repeat this behaviour any further.

Closing.

Last edited by V1del (2017-09-03 18:19:27)

Board footer