You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-03 20:52:31

VinceNardelli

[SOLVED]Steam download causing system hard crush ?

Hello fellows,

I have been trying the impossible trying to solve this problem; it all came down to steam, in particular when I download.

I don't know if the problem is the firewall of any kind, or a recent update of the kernel conflicting with steam or steam itself.
As I start download it all seems fine but no longer then 5 min it causes a hard crush of the system which force me to manually reboot the system.

At reboot I can see from the grub splash that a  few orphans have been cleared but no information is displayed if I execute "journalctl -p err..alert"
Oh, also as it reboots my netctl configuration is reset and I need to manually select my wifi from the wifi-menu. 

I tried running steam in the terminal to see any error there before as the system freezes but nothing there too.
Is there anything I can try to do to do the debugging of steam ?

PS: I recently increased the speed of my broadband but I can't see how that is relevant unless I have problems with my USB adapter.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Last edited by VinceNardelli (2017-09-04 21:29:28)

#2 2017-09-03 21:47:49

Xum

Re: [SOLVED]Steam download causing system hard crush ?

Maybe your system freezes because your memory gets filled up. This could be because of some memory leak or some full tmpfs directory. Have you watched your system memory usage when that happened?

#3 2017-09-03 22:44:49

VinceNardelli

Xum wrote:

Have you watched your system memory usage when that happened?

I will keep an eye on it and report back.

Little update: I left the computer downloading at low speed whole night and it didn't crush.

No memory leak either. So it seems it crushes only when I download at high speed on steam

Last edited by VinceNardelli (2017-09-04 15:01:41)

#4 2017-09-04 21:29:10

VinceNardelli

Solved (it seems). I changed my USB adapter and all works well.
I will edit the title of the thread just in case someone gets the same problem and wonders if the USB adaptor can crush the whole system; it seems it can!

Board footer