You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-04 18:59:40

zheng432

How do I use xf86-input-mtrack with GNOME XWayland?

I want to enable three-finger drag with GNOME on my laptop, which seems to be only supported by xf86-input-mtrack currently. I downloaded and built the package from AUR and installed it successfully but it doesn't seem to work. And to be honest, I totally messed up around Xorg, Xwayland, GNOME, with it's corresponding libinput and xinput.

So that my question goes:

1. Is it possible to enable the feature on GNOME XWayland session?

2. How do I do that?

3. Do I need to restart each time I change 10-mtrack.conf?

4. What's the relation between libinput and xf86-input-*?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-09-05 06:53:29

ooo

Re: How do I use xf86-input-mtrack with GNOME XWayland?

zheng432 wrote:

1. Is it possible to enable the feature on GNOME XWayland session?

2. How do I do that?

4. What's the relation between libinput and xf86-input-*?

xf86-input-* drivers don't do anything under wayland sessions. They are only used with Xorg.
If you absolutely must use some xf86-input-* driver, you have to use Xorg.

libinput was mainly developed to handle input devices with Wayland, but you can also use it with Xorg by using xf86-input-libinput driver. Wayland doesn't have multiple input drivers like xorg does, but it will always use libinput directly.

XWayland is used to run Xorg-only applications under Wayland, and it always uses the xf86-input-libinput driver. However, you can't configure it using the traditional Xorg methods, i.e. configuration files or xinput.

Any input configuration under Wayland is handled by the shell you're using. That means the only way to do any input configuration on Gnome under Wayland, is via gnome's settings.

xinput in only used to configure the xf86-input-libinput driver under Xorg. It won't have any effect on wayland.

I hope this cleared things up even a little bit :)

zheng432 wrote:

3. Do I need to restart each time I change 10-mtrack.conf?

I assume 10-mtrack.conf is xorg configuration file from xorg.conf.d/. Again, it won't have any effect on wayland. If you're using Xorg and edit the file, you'll only need to restart Xorg. Rebooting your system won't be necessary.

zheng432 wrote:

I want to enable three-finger drag with GNOME on my laptop, which seems to be only supported by xf86-input-mtrack currently.

Can you elaborate what you mean by "three-finger drag"? Gnome supports some multi-touch gestures, and apparenly there's also an extension that extends that functionality.

If xf86-input-mtrack is the only way to go, you just have to stick with Xorg for the moment.

#3 2017-09-05 16:52:02

zheng432

The answers are soooo helpful. Thank you so much.

I meant three-finger-drag on mac. It's like tap-and-drag which is natively supported by GNOME. If you have three fingers on the trackpad (instead of tap), it marks the location and every move after is considered drag.

I'll try the linked plugin for GNOME. But I still wonder if there's a configurable version, something like xf86-input-mtrack that you can tweak through it? libinput-gestures?

#4 2017-09-05 19:36:51

ooo

I think moving windows with touch gesture would require changes in mutter, and probably wouldn't be possible with just a shell extension.
You could ask the developer of gnome-shell-extended-gestures if that would be possible, but if not, you should add feature request for gnome.

I'm not sure if three-finger-drag would be possible with xf86-input-mtrack either, unless you can e.g. somehow remap the double-tap-and-drag gesture to three-finger-drag, or something similar..

Board footer