You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-01 14:44:31

d1dxcr

RTL8723BE Low WIFI Strength Issues

I have a laptop with a RTL8723BE. I used the fix provided in Arch-Wiki about ANT-SEL and power saver but no avail, I don't see much improvement in WIFI-Strength. I tried to install new drivers rtlwifi_new dkms from AUR but at the end of installation process they give me error:

rtlwifi_new-dkms: /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw.bin exists in filesystem
rtlwifi_new-dkms: /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw_wowlan.bin exists in filesystem

I'm using the latest version of Linux-LTS Kernel. I didn't use Linux LTS till today, when I installed it, put it on grub, to see if it works well, but no avail I see no improvement in performance. Any help is appreciated. If I need to anything, like logs and stuff please tell me under the comments, arch-community.

I think tons of people are facing the same problem. I believed this to be a problem with current linux kernel version, but it doesn't even work for LTS one too. If I need to put any

This is my entire makepkg -si

==> Making package: rtlwifi_new-dkms r221.01cbe67-2 (Fri Sep  1 09:29:34 UTC 2017)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Cloning rtlwifi_new git repo...
Cloning into bare repository '/home/cro/rtlwifi_new-dkms/rtlwifi_new'...
remote: Counting objects: 5136, done.
remote: Total 5136 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 5136
Receiving objects: 100% (5136/5136), 8.12 MiB | 324.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (4333/4333), done.
  -> Found dkms.conf
  -> Found blacklist-rtlwifi_new-dkms.conf
==> Validating source files with sha1sums...
    rtlwifi_new ... Skipped
    dkms.conf ... Passed
    blacklist-rtlwifi_new-dkms.conf ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of rtlwifi_new git repo...
Cloning into 'rtlwifi_new'...
done.
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Updated version: rtlwifi_new-dkms r230.a24cb56-1
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
==> Checking for packaging issue...
==> Creating package "rtlwifi_new-dkms"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Adding install file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: rtlwifi_new-dkms r230.a24cb56-1 (Fri Sep  1 09:30:08 UTC 2017)
==> Installing package rtlwifi_new-dkms with pacman -U...
[sudo] password for cro: 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) rtlwifi_new-dkms-r230.a24cb56-1

Total Installed Size:  14.28 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                 [############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                               [############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                    [############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                              [############################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
rtlwifi_new-dkms: /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw.bin exists in filesystem
rtlwifi_new-dkms: /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw_wowlan.bin exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Last edited by ewaller (2017-09-01 15:17:53)

#2 2017-09-01 15:21:22

ewaller
Administrator

Re: RTL8723BE Low WIFI Strength Issues

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.   I took the liberty of adding BBCode code tags to your post.  That link is also available under all of the message post boxes on the forums for reference,

I'm fairly sure this is a case where you can use --force.  Before you do that, what is the output of pacman -Qo /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw.bin       ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-09-01 23:01:29

d1dxcr

Gives me this:

Error: No package owns /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw.bin

#4 2017-09-01 23:15:21

ewaller
Administrator

So the question is, how did those files get there?  Did you install them outside of pacman?

In this case, go ahead and use pacman with the --force switch to install the package you build back in your first post.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2017-09-01 23:16:11

ewaller
Administrator

So the question is, how did those files get there?  Did you install them outside of pacman?

In this case, go ahead and use pacman with the --force switch to install the package you build back in your first post.

---

#6 2017-09-06 18:03:41

d1dxcr

Okay. So, appparently the AUR package itself is problematic. I removed it and had to manually install the drivers from the Github Repo. Apparently, it's very strange that the drivers are supposed to be included in the kernel but were not included in mine., according to Arch Wiki. Anyway, this has been solved. Please close it down, Administrators.

Note to all the future readers:

Your RTL8723BE may require manual installation from RTLWIFI_new Repo if you are having the same issue. It's the current repository. Also, donot fall the steps of the guides given in the WEB or these forums, as they are outdated. Just manually make and install them yourselves.

___X_____ Solved  ____X____

Board footer