You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-11 22:47:08

milkman

[Solved] Steam Borderlands 2 cannot open shared object file

Hi all,

I'm currently having some issues with trying to run Borderlands 2 through Steam. System specs are below:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.11.3-1-ARCH
Uptime: 1d 2h 37m
Packages: 844
Shell: bash 4.4.12
Resolution: 4480x1440
WM: Awesome
WM Theme: milk
GTK Theme: Vertex-Dark [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: clarity-canus
Font: Droid Sans Mono 8
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 12x 3.6GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
RAM: 3250MiB / 15951MiB

I do not have any other window managers installed if that for some reason matters; and I'm running steam using the command 'steam' (as opposed to 'steam-native').

When trying to run the game with no launch options, it immediately closes out as expected, with terminal output of:

GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Starting with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction[AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 1672, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 1672 for game ID 49520
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 1673 for game ID 49520
/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Game removed: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 1672 
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Following the wiki entry for BL2 regarding instant game crashing (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … derlands_2), I set the launch option specified and get the following output:

GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction[AppID 49520, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 1992, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 1992 for game ID 49520
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 1993 for game ID 49520
/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/milk/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Game removed: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 1992 

My roommate having a similar issue on a different system came across the following launch option, suggested on reddit somewhere I think:

SSL_CERT_DIR="/etc/ssl/certs" LD_PRELOAD='./libcxxrt.so:/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' %command%

Launching the game this way causes a small window (which does not visually display anything, i just see a title bar and window frame with whatever would be behind it visible) that disappears after a few seconds and my main display goes black, as if it's launching and about to start the intro video. However, after a couple of seconds on the black screen, the game exits back to desktop, giving the following terminal output:

GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to Starting with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction[AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 2048, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 2048 for game ID 49520
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 8] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 2049 for game ID 49520
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 2049, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 49520
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197960397154 [API loaded no]
ERROR: ld.so: object './libcxxrt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object './libcxxrt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
Game removed: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 2049 

So that seems to be progress but...I'm not really sure how to handle that cannot open shared object file? Best I can tell the permissions on it should be fine...

I have similar results when launching with steam-native as well, but slightly different outputs (i think? I'll get those if necessary)

Any help would be super appreciated.

Last edited by milkman (2017-06-11 23:21:41)

#2 2017-06-11 23:12:31

Ropid

Re: [Solved] Steam Borderlands 2 cannot open shared object file

I use these launch options:

LD_PRELOAD= __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command% -nostartupmovies

This is with nvidia drivers. I use steam with its normal steam runtime enabled, not the "steam-native" script. The important part is that "LD_PRELOAD=" with a space after it. Without that, the game crashes. I've got that from someone else some time ago. I don't know how to research that this weird empty "LD_PRELOAD= " is needed.

#3 2017-06-11 23:20:41

milkman

Ropid wrote:

This is with nvidia drivers. I use steam with its normal steam runtime enabled, not the "steam-native" script. The important part is that "LD_PRELOAD=" with a space after it. Without that, the game crashes. I've got that from someone else some time ago. I don't know how to research that this weird empty "LD_PRELOAD= " is needed.

Hey that worked!  Awesome, thanks a ton.

#4 2017-09-10 16:25:45

ChemBro

Ropid wrote:

I thought everything after the space is ignored for LD_PRELOAD, so I tested it without the "__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1" and that worked, too. So the actual command should be:

LD_PRELOAD= %command% -nostartupmovies

Board footer