You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-11 00:19:40

doskoi

words order in a package name

Is there a convention for the order of the words in a package name?
For example the repositories contain both gtk-theme-xxx and xxx-gtk-theme for a GTK theme. Whereas a Firefox extension is 99% like firefox-extension-xxx. Same for an icon theme which is almost always xxx-icon-theme (but there is no application name involved in this case).
So the package name must begin with the name of the extension, or with the name of the application being extended?

#2 2017-09-11 00:38:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: words order in a package name

Package names come from the upstream name.

Can you provide real examples of names that seem inconsistent and are not determined by the upstream name?  The gtk-theme names don't even seem to have any inconsistency: all gtk themes in the repos are named ****-gtk-theme.  There is one packaged called gtk-theme-switch2, but this is not itself a gtk theme, but a tool to work with themes.

As for firefox extensions, I don't see any packages in the repo.  I see quite a few in the AUR, but it's not "99%" with the naming scheme you mentioned, but 100%, they are all firefox-extension-<extensionname>.

Last edited by Trilby (2017-09-11 00:40:42)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-09-11 00:49:26

doskoi

Yes, I was talking about all the repos combined.

Real GTK themes with the most votes:
gtk-theme-elementary ("elementary GTK theme" on gnome-look.org)
gtk-theme-arc-git
gtk-theme-equinox
paper-gtk-theme-git
numix-gtk-theme-git
gtk-theme-absolute

arch-firefox-search instead of maybe firefox-search-arch in [community].

And I said 99%  to be modest :p
But still, why start with firefox in this case and not with gtk for themes?
Upstream names don't usually contains GTK or Firefox in their names, because the app name is obvious.

Last edited by doskoi (2017-09-11 00:50:49)

#4 2017-09-11 01:03:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

So now you're just talking about AUR packages.  People can (and do) submit all sorts of nonsense to the AUR - the requirements of AUR package names are minimal: primarily just the character set that can be legally used.  There is a recommendation that the pkgname could be the basename of the download url, but this is often not practical.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-09-11 01:39:06

doskoi

Ok, let's focus on official repos :p
For example, the package for Arc Theme is named arc-gtk-theme, but upstream is arc-theme. By the way, it's also arc-theme in almost every other distributions. But maybe it's better to have consistency with other similar packages in the repos of one distribution than to absolutely match the upstream name? And if so, where to put the application name, before or after ? :p

#6 2017-09-11 05:25:34

adesh

Package name can be different from the name of software because perspective of a distribution is different from that of the developer, but obviously the deviation in name has to make sense (as it clearly does in the example you gave).

On the matter of AUR though, I'd like these inconsistencies to be caught during the submission phase.

#7 2017-09-11 07:31:58

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Libraries, plugins and other package sets that add functionality to other packages (or some category) should generally include that package as a prefix. For example. Python modules are named "python-foo", "python-bar", etc. Firefox plugins are named "firefox-foo", "firefox-bar", etc. The identifier in the name after the prefix should match upstream's project name, with some discretion allowed to reduce redundancy in the name.

The GTK theme package names seem to be backwards in the official repos . I would expect the "gtk-theme-" prefix instead of a suffix. In the case of "arc-theme", I would expect "gtk-theme-arc" to reduce redundancy.

We have some documented naming standards and some de-facto naming standards but they are not strictly imposed.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#8 2017-09-11 20:48:06

doskoi

Ok, I will chose gtk-theme-xxx pattern, it sounds better. I thought the rules were stricter than they actually are !
Interestingly, the PKGBUILD of arc-gtk-theme use a replaces directive, showing that the name was indeed gtk-theme-arc in the past :p

Last edited by doskoi (2017-09-11 21:45:33)

Board footer