You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-10 02:36:00

cfr

Kile version information: splash screen contradicts pacman

Kile was recently updated and pacman now reports

local/kile 2.9.91-1
    A user friendly TeX/LaTeX frontend for KDE

which matches the version information given for the package in the repository.

However, when Kile starts up, it says that it is version 3 beta and the first time I launched it, it told me it was a new version, wiped all my settings, failed to update my project files and then froze completely. Moreover, it is buggy in all the ways a beta might be. I've been forced to kill it at least twice (but I think 3 or 4 times) in two days, it has wiped my settings to accommodate the new version not once, but three or four times, it has crashed once, it forgets settings and keyboard shortcuts from moment to moment, and it generally behaves like a troubled toddler.

It also has new features and some old features seem to have disappeared. (My snippets and tags disappeared, but the latter, though not the former, can be converted into a user menu thingie.) Some new bits are in Welsh (indent needs Welsh, but unindent needs English; comment needs Welsh, but uncomment needs English), there are some new settings and some old settings, together with all extensions, are no more. This certainly doesn't look like a minor bump to 2.9.91, but more like a bumpy bump to something not-quite-ready-but-will-one-day-be 3.

What probably translates as the 'About Kile' menu option tells me it is 2.9.91 and uses

KDE Frameworks 5.37.0

Qt 5.9.1 (built against 5.9.1)

The xcb windowing system

So, if it were not for the application's misbehaviour, I'd just conclude the splash screen is wrong. However, given that misbehaviour, I'm wondering if it really is beta.

I'm quite confused as I don't expect to see beta software in the repos. If I want beta, I look in AUR. Generally, I don't. I need it to work, so I stick with stable releases.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2017-09-10 03:14:14

progandy

Re: Kile version information: splash screen contradicts pacman

According to the kile download page, v3 beta1 is 2.9.91
https://kile.sourceforge.io/download.php

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2017-09-10 03:36:53

cfr

progandy wrote:

According to the kile download page, v3 beta1 is 2.9.91
https://kile.sourceforge.io/download.php

Indeed, and

of course, only intended for testing and not for production use.

https://kile.sourceforge.io/news.php

What is it doing in the stable repo then?

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55572

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2017-09-11 12:56:39

mrunion
Website

Arch follows upstream. Arch is bleeding edge and you get what upstream supplies, and I'm sure you know that based on your post count.

So the bottom line is arch loads whatever upstream pushes out on it's main/stable/master branch, and that's what was pushed out.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2017-09-11 17:15:45

arojas
Developer

mrunion wrote:

Arch follows upstream. Arch is bleeding edge and you get what upstream supplies, and I'm sure you know that based on your post count.

So the bottom line is arch loads whatever upstream pushes out on it's main/stable/master branch, and that's what was pushed out.

You may want to re-read the entire post...

#6 2017-09-12 12:22:26

mrunion
Website

Advice taken. Mistake acknowledged. Apology extended.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer