You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-12 09:42:28

mindless

[SOLVED] How to add a custom edid file

Hello, I have problems with my screen. The preffered resolution is not automaticly detected. So I tried to follow this tutorial but I don't know how to add the following line in the kernel command line..

drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/edid.bin

Actually, I don't understand how it works. I am using GRUB.

Also, I don't know what is early KMS so I am not sure if I should add my EDID in the initramfs.

Last edited by mindless (2017-09-14 16:26:11)

#2 2017-09-12 10:08:12

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] How to add a custom edid file

The article that you linked to clearly describes how to add kernel parameters to grub, what exactly don't you understand?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-09-12 12:34:16

seth

As mentioned in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=229878 the preferred resolution *is* correctly detected - it's just not used.

How did you install arch linux?

#4 2017-09-13 12:05:15

mindless

seth wrote:

As mentioned in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=229878 the preferred resolution *is* correctly detected - it's just not used.

How did you install arch linux?

Manually, I installed i3 for my WM. And I use startx to launch it when I log in.

Is this possible that xrandr detects the display before displaying the available resolutions ? Because in NVIDIA the preferred resolution is not available at first.

Last edited by mindless (2017-09-13 12:10:48)

#5 2017-09-13 12:09:59

mindless

slithery wrote:

The article that you linked to clearly describes how to add kernel parameters to grub, what exactly don't you understand?

I added the following line in /etc/default/grub but that doesn't changes anything hmm

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/edid.bin"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

The original was:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

#6 2017-09-13 12:27:00

seth

mindless wrote:

Manually, I installed i3 for my WM. And I use startx to launch it when I log in.

That's not what I meant. What tutorial did you follow or installation script did you use?

mindless wrote:

Is this possible that xrandr detects the display before displaying the available resolutions ? Because in NVIDIA the preferred resolution is not available at first.

I frankly don't understand what you mean by this, in particular by "in NVIDIA" and "at first", but xrandr gets this information from the nvidia driver and the driver basically just wires its proprietary mechanisms - iow, the idea that it works in xrandr but does not work "in NVIDIA" is weird.

#7 2017-09-13 12:42:59

Slithery
Administrator

mindless wrote:

I added the following line in /etc/default/grub but that doesn't changes anything hmm

Did you rebuild the configuration after making this change?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#8 2017-09-13 12:48:07

mindless

slithery wrote:
mindless wrote:

Did you rebuild the configuration after making this change?

Yes

seth wrote:
mindless wrote:

That's not what I meant. What tutorial did you follow or installation script did you use?

mindless wrote:

I frankly don't understand what you mean by this, in particular by "in NVIDIA" and "at first", but xrandr gets this information from the nvidia driver and the driver basically just wires its proprietary mechanisms - iow, the idea that it works in xrandr but does not work "in NVIDIA" is weird.

I followed the main the original installation script from the wiki.

I mean, when I open the tool nvidia-settings, 1920x1080 is not available, I have to press "Detect Displays" or run xrandr to be able to see 1920x1080 and activate it. If I want to change my resolution with xandr, I have to launch the command twice, like if the first time the screen wasn't correctly detected.

Last edited by mindless (2017-09-13 12:50:03)

#9 2017-09-13 13:19:23

seth

Dump the output of "xrandr --verbose --current" before and after the desired resolution appears, paste both outputs (this command will likely not trigger the outputs to be re-scanned)
Does the resolution information remain with the boot or do you have to re-scan outputs after every restart of the X11 server?
Also provide your xorg log and your xinitrc.

#10 2017-09-13 17:08:48

mindless

seth wrote:

Dump the output of "xrandr --verbose --current" before and after the desired resolution appears, paste both outputs (this command will likely not trigger the outputs to be re-scanned)
Does the resolution information remain with the boot or do you have to re-scan outputs after every restart of the X11 server?
Also provide your xorg log and your xinitrc.

The xrandr output before clicking on "Detect Devices

The xrandr output after clicking on "Detect Devices

The resolution is definitely not stored after reboot, because I have to set it by hand.

Let me test X11 server reboot and I come back.

EDIT:

The Resolution is not stored when I pkill i3 and I log back

The XORG log from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I haven't found any Xserver/Xinit log file so I guess It's in XORG log.

Also, If I startx in another tty, the max resolution is availble (only if I updated the resolutions in tty1 first)

EDIT 2:

I also forgot to say that my screen is connected with a VGA cable to the DVI input of my GPU thanks to an adapter

Last edited by mindless (2017-09-13 17:18:30)

#11 2017-09-13 18:50:34

seth

The adapter is likely the problem.

a) get rid of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (likely forged by nvidia-xconfig?) in favor of a device or monitor section only in eg. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf or so
b.1) there add a ModeLine (refer to the good randr output for accurate timings) and set 'Option "UseEDID" "false"' - or
b.2) enrich your startup script with a call to "xrandr --output CRT-0 --auto" (should suffice w/o an additional call to xrandr --query) - or
b.3) get a better adapter/monitor ;-)

#12 2017-09-13 18:55:20

mindless

seth wrote:

The adapter is likely the problem.

a) get rid of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (likely forged by nvidia-xconfig?) in favor of a device or monitor section only in eg. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf or so
b.1) there add a ModeLine (refer to the good randr output for accurate timings) and set 'Option "UseEDID" "false"' - or
b.2) enrich your startup script with a call to "xrandr --output CRT-0 --auto" (should suffice w/o an additional call to xrandr --query) - or
b.3) get a better adapter/monitor ;-)

Ok thanks a lot, I already tried the enrich startup script part. I will try HDMI and see how it goes smile

#13 2017-09-14 16:25:54

mindless

Fixed it !

I regenerated my nvidia config file and added few lines to specifiy my EDID file and now it works perfectly.

$ sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-composite --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf.test

Then added these lines to the section Device:

Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DVI-I-0"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DVI-I-0:/etc/X11/dvi.edid.bin"
    Option         "IgnoreEDID" "false"
    Option         "UseEDID" "true"

To generate the EDID file, I used nvidia-settings GUI in GPU-DVI -> Acquire EDID

Board footer