You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-13 21:30:31

SpaceOttersea

Can I Safely Hibernate Multiple OSes on Different Physical Drives?

Title says most.

I would like to be able to switch between OSes (Arch and Windows) relatively quickly. Ideally, this would involve hibernating one and then booting into the other, while keeping the hibernation file to be used when I am done with the other OS. I do not want to VM, because I use Windows for gaming (can't lose frames!), and I don't want Windows to be a primary OS with Arch nested underneath (seems to defeat purpose of having Arch's simplicity).

I've been searching around various forums but can't seem to find any related answer (odd, seeming that it would be a fairly common scenario--maybe it's a very obvious answer). I understand that this can be dangerous when on the same drive, but it seems that the likelihood of data corruption on different drives would be very low. I will have completely separate backup drives for each, and the only data transfer between Linux and Windows will be done through Google Drive. In fact, I'd be even happier if I were able to block each OS from seeing the drives of the other.

So, is this a possible scenario? Can GRUB (or a different bootloader--I am flexible) select between OSes that are both hibernated? Is data corruption inevitable? Are there ways to mitigate data corruption?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-09-14 02:01:47

euclid211

Re: Can I Safely Hibernate Multiple OSes on Different Physical Drives?

I would worry about BIOS setting changes, firmware updates, and suchlike. If you don't want the OSes to see each other's *data*, you could encrypt the drives using two separate encryptions, bitlocker for windows and luks for arch. Just don't encrypt your boot partition; it makes booting slow.

#3 2017-09-14 06:52:59

seth

Re: Can I Safely Hibernate Multiple OSes on Different Physical Drives?

No. No matter on how many disks.

Corrupting the hibernation data is one thing, but the OS expects the system to be in the exact same condition when waking up from hibernation and that's easily broken, especially by windows updates or the BIOS/UEFI loosing track of the S4 state(s) and adjusting the memory map on the next boot.
There're several threads on this very board where this scenario leads to these kind of issues.

You want some https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … ypervisors

Board footer