You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-19 16:34:28

claudiogc

[SOLVED]ACPI BIOS Error when booting.

I installed Arch in my notebook and when i restart i get the following error message:

starting version 234
/dev/sda5: clean, 184657/1966080 files, 1968578/7864320 blocks

[8.647606] ACPI bios error (bug):\ _sb.pcio.agp.vga._dos: excess arguments - uments-189)

Looks like something with Video. I don't know if is relevant to the case but i installed: xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-xwininfo

How can i fix that?

Last edited by claudiogc (2017-09-20 02:48:47)

#2 2017-09-19 18:26:06

olive

Re: [SOLVED]ACPI BIOS Error when booting.

Are you experiencing any issue apart from this message? It is well possible that the ACPI of your laptop doesn't meet the expected standard hence the warning. Have you updated the Bios to the latest version? If you experience a problem that might be related to this message, give more precision; otherwise, there is nothing to do except to complain to your laptop manufacturer to write correct ACPI implementation. Quite often, the kernel is able to deal with these inconsistencies and they are thus harmless.

Last edited by olive (2017-09-19 18:27:13)

#3 2017-09-19 18:41:11

ewaller
Administrator

Do you need to fix that?  IOW, is something not working?
ACPI implementations are notoriously buggy on most systems designed to work with only a single operating system from the American Northwest.   Kernel developers are forced to create elaborate hacks to work around some of the worst of the issues.

If you really think you need to fix it, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DSDT

Edit:  Long delay in my posting caused me to miss Olive's post making this redundant

Last edited by ewaller (2017-09-19 18:42:22)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-09-19 19:03:47

claudiogc

Well, actually my system doesn't start. Thats what I meant.
I use OpenBox, before I reinstall the system I had these X packages installed: xorg-server-utils xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-xwininfo.
Now i see xorg-server-utils was removed from repositories and maybe is something with it because is the only package I did not install this time.

To let my screen the way I want I used to do some configs besides those package installations.
I used to replace the default /etc/X11/xorg.conf with this one:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "BlankTime"     "0"
    Option         "StandbyTime"   "0"
    Option         "SuspendTime"   "0"
    Option         "OffTime"       "0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I type this command so my monitor does not turn off after 10 minutes:

sed -i 's|#HandleLidSwitch=suspend|HandleLidSwitch=ignore|' /etc/systemd/logind.conf

To X start automatically with Openbox I append these lines at the end of /home/claudio/.bash_profile

if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then
	exec startx
fi

And I type this in the terminal:

echo 'exec openbox-session' >> /home/claudio/.xinitrc

With these configs everything was working fine to me until now.
As I said I believe the problem is with X because xorg-server-utils is the only package I did not install this time. But now I don't have idea where specifically is the problem.

I reinstalled the system again but this time with xorg-apps too. Plus xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-xwininfo and I did the same configs as always but I had the same bug.

Openbox does not starts.

#5 2017-09-19 20:11:29

ewaller
Administrator

Your system seems to boot.  Are you saying that that Xorg/Openbox does not start?
How do you start Openbox?  Can you post your Xorg Log?  If you use startx, what errors are printed on the console?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2017-09-19 21:39:05

claudiogc

ewaller wrote:

Are you saying that that Xorg/Openbox does not start?

It seems to me that's the problem.

ewaller wrote:

How do you start Openbox?

I can't start Openbox. That's my problem.

ewaller wrote:

Can you post your Xorg Log?

No because tty1 or 2 or n does not start. The screen stucks with that message. I can't type anything.

I tried install that packages only and reboot. Works fine, but when i set those configs this bug happens. One more reason to believe the problem is with Xorg but I have no clue exactly where and how to fix.

Last edited by claudiogc (2017-09-19 21:39:55)

#7 2017-09-20 01:12:20

claudiogc

So, I think i found the problem.

I reinstalled the system with only these x packages: xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-xwininfo
Then I did those configs step by step restarting the system to isolate the problem.

The problem started when i tried this:

sed -i 's|ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noclear %I $TERM|ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a claudio %I 38400|' /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service

I did that to autologin as user in tty1.

I really believe the problem is there. Do you know an alternative command for that or alternative way to autologin as normal user from tty1?

#8 2017-09-20 02:48:34

claudiogc

Guys.

I found the following tutorial to autologin from tty1 and now everything is working fine. The problem was that autologin command i used to enter.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/getty

Board footer