You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-20 02:14:31

apastuszak
Website

[SOLVED] "Is no longer in the sudoers file."

No exactly sure what happened here.  Yesterday I was in the sudoers file.  Today I am not.  The time and date stamp on the sudoers file has not changed, which is obviously messing with my world.

What's the best way to fix this?

Last edited by apastuszak (2017-09-20 02:46:39)

#2 2017-09-20 02:46:06

apastuszak
Website

Re: [SOLVED] "Is no longer in the sudoers file."

I kind of brute forced a fix for myself.  Noticed I was removed from the wheel group for some reason.

1. Booted off an ArchLinux bootable thumb drive.
2. Mounted the partitiion to /mnt
3. Edited /mnt/etc/group and added myself manually to the wheel group
4. Umount, reboot, and all is good again.

#3 2017-09-20 04:42:14

dockland

I think you can do that as root without the need of chroot.

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#4 2017-09-20 13:55:49

seth

Assuming he's disabled the root login and no way left to sudo, he'll have to boot the single user or rescue target or init=/bin/bash to get a root shell.
No need to do this offline, though.

What really troubles me is

I was removed from the wheel group for some reason

because this really should not happen in archlinux.

You not "are" removed but might have done that yourself and should be aware of the incident.
If that's not the case, some package install hook messes with /etc/group (directly) what'd be quite a severe bug.

@apastuszak
Please check your pacman log for packages you updated in the crtitical time frame, maybe simply grep it for "group" and see whether you can isolate an offender (most likely a package from AUR)

#5 2017-09-21 01:45:00

apastuszak
Website

seth wrote:

Assuming he's disabled the root login and no way left to sudo, he'll have to boot the single user or rescue target or init=/bin/bash to get a root shell.
No need to do this offline, though.

What really troubles me is

I was removed from the wheel group for some reason

because this really should not happen in archlinux.

You not "are" removed but might have done that yourself and should be aware of the incident.
If that's not the case, some package install hook messes with /etc/group (directly) what'd be quite a severe bug.

@apastuszak
Please check your pacman log for packages you updated in the crtitical time frame, maybe simply grep it for "group" and see whether you can isolate an offender (most likely a package from AUR)

I use the following command line to add myself to a new group I created called "printers:"

sudo usermod apastusak -G printers

When I did this it removed me from all the secondary groups I was in and just left me in the group "printers."  It appears I forgot to use the switch "-a" to append instead of replace.  Total brain fart on my part.

EDIT: Yes, I had root disabled.  The only thing saving my *ss, was that my filesystem was not encrypted, so I could mount it from boot media.

I have been debating rebuilding my laptop with filesystem encryption.  May want to enable root with a very strong password.

Last edited by apastuszak (2017-09-21 01:49:59)

#6 2017-09-21 07:28:39

seth

Thanks for the clarification.
See eg. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … encryption for a brief discussion of the matter.

Board footer