You are not logged in.
I decided to give Firefox Nightly a go. Since I wanted to benefit from Firefox' automated update feature, I grabbed the package Mozilla distributes from their website and put it somewhere in my home folder. Then, in order to be able to run it from Gnome, I create a .desktop file:
[joel@panda ~]$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/firefox-nightly.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox Nightly
Exec=/home/joel/bin/firefox/firefox-bin
Icon=/home/joel/bin/firefox/icons/nightly.png
Type=ApplicationSo far, so good. The firefox nightly icon is available in the Gnome activities panel, and I added it to the favorites:
https://i.imgur.com/ILCI3pZ.jpg
However, when I launch it, the regular firefox icon appears instead! (I want to keep normal firefox installed for other users):
https://i.imgur.com/XJ58UvF.jpg
Why does that happen? I tried renaming the application in the desktop file, looked for the name of the binary in the /usr/share desktop file, nothing. Any insight?
Thanks!
Last edited by jasonwryan (2017-09-21 17:41:29)
Offline
You have been here long enough to know better: read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code
Offline
Sorry about that.
Offline
Do you have a running firefox instance when trying to launch FF nightly?
Edit: just to be sure: this is *not* just the icon - you're actually getting a window from the "normal" firefox version, do you?
Last edited by seth (2017-09-21 19:27:21)
Offline
Thanks for your answer!
Just checked, "ps aux | grep -i" reports nothing. So I think I don't have anything running.
And no, as you can see in the screencap, the version that is launched is actually nightly! So it is "just" the icon, I can definitely live with it
I just like to understand what happens on my computer.
Offline
Afaik the taskbars either use the icon passed as window property or more of a heuristic approach to map process names to icon.
Since the process is "firefox-bin" and on top of that the ffn icon is in a non-stock path and nothing named like "firefox" this will likely just fail and present you with the best known match (the firefox icon)
Offline