You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-23 18:20:13

papavlos

[SOLVED] How to uninstall some of noto-fonts?

Noto-fonts package is installed as required for plasma.
It brings many of unwanted and unnecessary fonts for exotic for me Asian and Middle East languages.
Font manager in KDE system settings doesn't allow to get rid of any of font from this package.

Question from the title: How to unsinstall some of them?

Last edited by papavlos (2017-09-26 22:12:45)

#2 2017-09-23 19:53:55

ooo

Re: [SOLVED] How to uninstall some of noto-fonts?

You could use NoExtract in pacman.conf to prevent some fonts (or other files) from getting installed.

#3 2017-09-23 22:29:33

papavlos

ooo wrote:

You could use NoExtract in pacman.conf to prevent some fonts (or other files) from getting installed.

This would prevent if had not installed them yet. They had been installed as required by plasma, automatically. All of them, unfortunately.
Furthermore, the "NoExtract" option points to a directory to be skipped during install, whereas the "/usr/share/fonts/noto" directory contains all noto-fonts, and I want to get rid only of some of them.

#4 2017-09-23 22:33:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You can use globs and other shell constructs in your file:

man pacman.conf wrote:

Shell-style glob patterns are allowed. It is possible to invert matches by prepending a file with an exclamation mark. Inverted
           files will result in previously blacklisted files being whitelisted again. Subsequent matches will override previous ones. A leading literal
           exclamation mark or backslash needs to be escaped.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2017-09-23 22:49:23

papavlos

@jasonwryan:
Thank you for your reply, but do you suggest me uninstalling whole plasma with all its dependences (incl. noto-fonts), setting up pacman.conf with proper exclusions and then installing the plasma again?
Aren't there any other means to kill all those hieroglyphs off?

#6 2017-09-23 22:59:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No, once you set up your pacman.conf to ignore those files, you could just remove them manually.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2017-09-23 23:00:29

progandy

You can remove a package while ignoring the dependencies (-Rdd), then reinstall it (even as a dependency --asdeps). Just make sure that your core system keeps working, at the very least you need to be able to boot into a tty and run pacman.

Last edited by progandy (2017-09-23 23:04:01)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#8 2017-09-24 12:54:43

papavlos

@jasonwryan, progandy,
That you both for your hints. I think I understand what you mean - let me first play with a virtualbox Arch+plasma installation, then - if success - I will apply the procedure on my host.
Anyway, I will come back with a report.

#9 2017-09-26 22:08:09

papavlos

Finally I've found spare time to play...
First, I have completely removed the "noto-fonts" package with the "ignore dependencies" opition

sudo pacman -Rdd noto-fonts 

Interesting that everything worked fine without the package, even chromium. Event after reboot. At least I was lucky to not to  touch anything sensitive...
(So, for what reason "plasma-integration" package - the one which installs "noto-fonts" as required dependent - bloats the system with all these fonts? This quetion should be posted somewhere else. I'm just thinking... Maybe one day I will try to grab source codes and trace it...)
And now the second step - forcing partial re-install of noto-fonts, but without the unwanted stuff.
I have edited the /etc/pacman.conf file, uncommented the "NoExtract" parameter and edited it.

NoExtract  = usr/share/fonts/noto/* !*NotoMono-* !*NotoSansDisplay-* !*NotoSansLinearB-* !*NotoSansMono-* !*NotoSansSymbols* !*NotoSerif-* !*NotoSerifDisplay-*

Only root can write changes to this file, so "sudo", or "su" is required, or the nice feature of "kate" editor kindly asking for root password.
Then the final command:

sudo pacman -S --asdeps noto-fonts

And - this is what has remained in the "/usr/share/fonts/noto" directory:

NotoMono-Regular.ttf              NotoSansMono-Medium.ttf           NotoSerifDisplay-Bold.ttf        
NotoSansDisplay-BlackItalic.ttf   NotoSansMono-Regular.ttf          NotoSerifDisplay-Italic.ttf      
NotoSansDisplay-Black.ttf         NotoSansMono-Thin.ttf             NotoSerifDisplay-LightItalic.ttf   
NotoSansDisplay-BoldItalic.ttf    NotoSansSymbols2-Regular.ttf      NotoSerifDisplay-Light.ttf         
NotoSansDisplay-Bold.ttf          NotoSansSymbols-Black.ttf         NotoSerifDisplay-MediumItalic.ttf  
NotoSansDisplay-Italic.ttf        NotoSansSymbols-Bold.ttf          NotoSerifDisplay-Medium.ttf        
NotoSansDisplay-LightItalic.ttf   NotoSansSymbols-Light.ttf         NotoSerifDisplay-Regular.ttf       
NotoSansDisplay-Light.ttf         NotoSansSymbols-Medium.ttf        NotoSerifDisplay-ThinItalic.ttf    
NotoSansDisplay-MediumItalic.ttf  NotoSansSymbols-Regular.ttf       NotoSerifDisplay-Thin.ttf          
NotoSansDisplay-Medium.ttf        NotoSansSymbols-Thin.ttf          NotoSerif-Italic.ttf               
NotoSansDisplay-Regular.ttf       NotoSerif-BlackItalic.ttf         NotoSerif-LightItalic.ttf          
NotoSansDisplay-ThinItalic.ttf    NotoSerif-Black.ttf               NotoSerif-Light.ttf                
NotoSansDisplay-Thin.ttf          NotoSerif-BoldItalic.ttf          NotoSerif-MediumItalic.ttf         
NotoSansLinearB-Regular.ttf       NotoSerif-Bold.ttf                NotoSerif-Medium.ttf               
NotoSansMono-Black.ttf            NotoSerifDisplay-BlackItalic.ttf  NotoSerif-Regular.ttf              
NotoSansMono-Bold.ttf             NotoSerifDisplay-Black.ttf        NotoSerif-ThinItalic.ttf           
NotoSansMono-Light.ttf            NotoSerifDisplay-BoldItalic.ttf   NotoSerif-Thin.ttf  

One thing was tricky form me: I needed a longer while to figure out, that in the "NoExtract" parameter in the pacman.conf you should not use initial slash for the root directory. Althouh example in arch wiki is clear, I had to read pacman(8) man to find it explicitly written...

That's it! Thank you all for helpful hints cool

Last edited by papavlos (2017-09-26 22:11:17)

#10 2018-12-18 09:01:48

Ocye

papavlos wrote:

Finally I've found spare time to play...

Many thanks for this simple solution. I love Arch also because of the community.

#11 2018-12-18 14:37:18

ewaller
Administrator

Closing this old thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer